News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2020, 11:03:44 PM
I got my little kitty, Sally, a little over two months ago.  She has grown quickly since then and is now about to flood New Orleans.  She's such a good cat.

:lol:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

What reference am I missing?  :blush:  Does she pee a lot?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 15, 2020, 04:40:01 AM
Switzerland joining Austria in massively expanding their night train network :wub: :mmm:

Edit: Should be done by 2024 - I think Barcelona, Leipzig, Dresden, Amsterdam and Rome are all new.

Oh my.... that's wonderful! :wub:

derspiess

So my Ancestry DNA results have updated.  For those of you keeping score at home, I am now 3% Welsh and 3% Norwegian.  I'm still 1% Finnish.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

I took the train across China twice, sleeping in a 6'x6' room with five other people. I can sleep pretty much anywhere anytime. The first trip was easy, slept a solid nine hours, loved the travel. The second trip, I was right by the engineers area and there was a signal that was broken and flared all night long. I might have gotten four hours of sleep that night. :glare:

Going across Europe has been a dream, but it was a lot more expensive than flying when I was there last, so I didn't bother. I just flew. Here's hoping the new train is more cost-effective. :)

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2020, 02:18:16 PM
So my Ancestry DNA results have updated.  For those of you keeping score at home, I am now 3% Welsh and 3% Norwegian.  I'm still 1% Finnish.

Brother!! :hug:

10% Welshie here!

DGuller

How can your DNA results change? :unsure: Did you handle some uranium or something?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2020, 03:38:47 PM
How can your DNA results change? :unsure: Did you handle some uranium or something?

He is unlikely to have access to the necessary amounts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2020, 03:38:47 PM

They base ancestry percentages based on the incidences of DNA pieces in countries. This is always being updated.

It's not the most exact stuff. I am probably giving them too little credit but it really seems to me that if a few thousand white people in Ghana signed up for DNA testing a bunch of people elsewhere in the world who are distant white cousins of them would start getting Ghana showing up in their ancestry profile.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Unless someone is paying white people to move to Ghana and take the test, I don't think you need to worry.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 15, 2020, 06:39:54 PM
Unless someone is paying white people to move to Ghana and take the test, I don't think you need to worry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Ghana

Quote4.3% of the population is white.

Seems like somebody already did the moving white people there thing. Just need to pay them to take the test now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

4% isn't much. Even if they are 10 times as likely to take the test as their compatriots, they'll still be a minority.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Wait, so your country percentages are determined based on the makeup of the people taking the tests in those countries? :unsure: