The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

The In Our Times episode on the gin craze is really good:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084zk6z
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Sure, Gin Lane looked bad then, but it's been gentrified and you can't get an apartment there for less than 5,000.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

You're not wrong - that's clearly in Bloomsbury and it's gone beyond gentrified.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Apparently Usain Bolt has just had a daughter.
He has named her possibly the greatest name ever.
Olympia Lightning Bolt.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
Olympia Lightning Bolt.

That is  very cruel and narcissistic thing to do.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on July 10, 2020, 05:03:51 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2020, 03:41:06 PM
Olympia Lightning Bolt.

That is  very cruel and narcissistic thing to do.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Narcissistic, definitely. People get worse names every day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It's a play on the family name.  It doesn't have to be about him.

Josquius

Given her dad is who he is, she should be able to more than get away with it.
And even if her dad wasn't an athlete, Olympia sounds fairly OK as a girls name.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Considering some celebrity baby names (looking at you, Elon Musk), I think Olympia Lightning Bolt is quite ok. Besides, Olympia, while uncommon, is still a "proper" first name (think actress Olympia Dukakis or senator Olympia Snowe). The full name to railroad her into a career as superhero/children's show character, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Olympia is a fine name, surely better than whatever the feminization of "Usain" is.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I knew an Olympia once. She was fat which seemed to run counter to that name  :hmm:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2020, 02:27:02 AM
I knew an Olympia once. She was fat which seemed to run counter to that name  :hmm:

Have you seen Mt Olympus?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Agelastus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 11, 2020, 01:26:16 AM
Olympia is a fine name, surely better than whatever the feminization of "Usain" is.

Usaina? Usainia? Uinsaina?

Actually, jokes aside, Usaina and Usainia don't sound too bad when spoken.

--------------------

I am pretty sure she'll minimize use of the "Lightning" part of her name in the future - unless, of course, she turns out to be the female equivalent of her father.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

You know, parents don't HAVE to make their newborns' names about themselves. There's no legal requirement or anything.