News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

I didn't really notice the rudeness, as such, in Paris.  Sure, some of the service folk in the heavily-saturated tourist area felt a bit brusque, but I wouldn't label that as rude.  One cafe we stopped out outside the tourist area had a little trouble handling our non-French speaking, but adapted quite well and were very polite.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2020, 07:37:33 PM
I think I've mentioned my theory of the relationship between the French language and the perception of rudeness before.  To correctly pronounce French vowels you have to tense your lips a lot.  That can resemble sneering.

I developed this theory when I was jammed into the lobby of a tiny movie theater in Aix en Provence waiting for a showing of Full Metal Jacket.  It was like an elevator, so no one was talking.  Everyone's resting face looked very pleasant and normal.  Then one person started talking and they all looked a little like dickheads.

That would apply the French u [ü]. I have heard this theory before, this lip movement is somewhat taboo to Anglophones which would explain why Anglophones have a hard time pronouncing it.

So avoid NE and E France, where they sometimes pronounce the French ou (oo) is pronounced as u [ü].  :P

Threviel

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2020, 02:19:14 AM
The Metro is a much more polite and friendly place than the Stockholm subway in my experience.

Damning with faint praise...

That was the only time someone in Paris was rude, but it somewhat set the tone for what I expected.

garbon

I think people on the NYC subway system are generally more rude than those in Paris.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Well, my rather crude point was that perhaps tourists find the french rude based on their experience in a French metropolis, that like all big cities, have a different pulse and mentality than the rest of the country.

Josquius

My main experience of French rudeness comes less from Parisians and more formal letters in French. Those things are horrid.
Though yes. Parisians tend to be arrogant cocks.

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2020, 05:35:00 PM
Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2020, 09:44:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 09:01:58 AM
Quite different to the French who are just rude rude. Its baked into their language that they cannot be anything but.

:huh:

The way French works gives results which are exceptionally rude to English ears.
No 'if you don't mind I'd like to know x'. Its I DEMAND YOU TELL ME X.
I wonder if a big part of it is simply down to those words entering English in such a way that left them inherently associated with haughty nobles.

Can you show us on the doll where did the French Language hurt you?  :P

1066 :cry:
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on May 30, 2020, 10:41:27 AM
My main experience of French rudeness comes less from Parisians and more formal letters in French. Those things are horrid.
Though yes. Parisians tend to be arrogant cocks.

:lmfao:

Actually, those formal letters use courtesy forms and polite expressions nobody uses in common day parlance.
Glad to see you embrace French clichés though, suits you to a T.  :P

Liep

l love a good launch. But it looks a little weird with two old guys in those slim space suits.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on May 30, 2020, 10:41:27 AM

1066 :cry:

If the Vikings had won your country would just be one big IKEA by now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Saw the launch from Satellite Beach about 25 Km (15 miles) south of Cape Canaveral.  We thought they were going to cancel the launch as we were getting thunderstorms at ten minutes before launch (as had been the case on Thursday); but it was mostly clear up on the Cape.  There were a bunch of people on the beach; including a group of school-aged children who did the countdown.

I've seen a lot of launches; but this one was the most exciting so far.  It's the first manned mission I've been here for.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on May 30, 2020, 05:02:57 PM
Saw the launch from Satellite Beach about 25 Km (15 miles) south of Cape Canaveral.  We thought they were going to cancel the launch as we were getting thunderstorms at ten minutes before launch (as had been the case on Thursday); but it was mostly clear up on the Cape.  There were a bunch of people on the beach; including a group of school-aged children who did the countdown.

I've seen a lot of launches; but this one was the most exciting so far.  It's the first manned mission I've been here for.

:cool:

I'm very jealous, that's some fireworks display to have on your 'doorstep'.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Edit: I pay €23 and I get 30 GB with my current contract.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Russia is pretty cheap.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 31, 2020, 10:53:58 AM
Russia is pretty cheap.

Including Turkey, and not Russia, is indeed very cheap.  :P

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?