News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 05:50:45 AM
:lol: Friends I've had who've moved to the Netherlands have not been fans. I think if you're not Dutch (and certainly if you're British), Dutch honesty and bluntness can look a lot like rudeness and racism.
I never got this from them to be really. They're blunt and to the point, but in a very welcome way which isn't too negative. They know how to say please et al.
Quite different to the French who are just rude rude. Its baked into their language that they cannot be anything but.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

You find France french rude?   :huh:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

France and the French language is just another thing that we can't expect tyr to be objective about.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 09:01:58 AM
I never got this from them to be really. They're blunt and to the point, but in a very welcome way which isn't too negative. They know how to say please et al.
Quite different to the French who are just rude rude. Its baked into their language that they cannot be anything but.
One anecdote I heard was about the first time a friend saw that a girl had put "No blacks and no Arabs" in their Tinder bio.

His Dutch colleagues thought this was fine because it just said that she wasn't interested and let everyone know where she stood. All of his British friends were kind of horrified and felt even if you do have that personal bigotry you just swipe left, no need to add it to your bio. As I say Dutch = rude and racist; British = hypocritical and deceitful.

(As an aside I have seen this from gays in many locations on Grindr but it's racism agains Asians typically).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 09:33:25 AM
One anecdote I heard was about the first time a friend saw that a girl had put "No blacks and no Arabs" in their Tinder bio.

His Dutch colleagues thought this was fine because it just said that she wasn't interested and let everyone know where she stood. All of his British friends were kind of horrified and felt even if you do have that personal bigotry you just swipe left, no need to add it to your bio. As I say Dutch = rude and racist; British = hypocritical and deceitful.

(As an aside I have seen this from gays in many locations on Grindr but it's racism agains Asians typically).

And fats, fems...and blacks too. I don't really get the point though as do people putting that in their bio really get swamped by people who match those descriptors? And even if they did, can't they politely just ignore such messages?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

:huh:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Isn't Tinder about er... romantic partners? How are sexual preferences bigotry?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2020, 09:49:18 AM

Isn't Tinder about er... romantic partners? How are sexual preferences bigotry?

How are racial preferences not bigotry? How can a non-bigoted mind so easily write off attraction to an entire race - particularly when there can be so much variation of appearance within a  racial category?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on May 29, 2020, 09:40:12 AM
And fats, fems...and blacks too. I don't really get the point though as do people putting that in their bio really get swamped by people who match those descriptors? And even if they did, can't they politely just ignore such messages?
Yep. It does only seem to be Grindr in my experience. But I just find it really weird because it's like if you got unwanted attention at a bar and instead of saying "no, thanks" you just decided to dress in a Klan outfit.

You'll probably get less unwanted attention, but you're really opening up to being judged by others.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 05:50:45 AM
:lol: Friends I've had who've moved to the Netherlands have not been fans. I think if you're not Dutch (and certainly if you're British), Dutch honesty and bluntness can look a lot like rudeness and racism.

:lol:

Chillax little Englander, the French have a word for please as well.

Sheilbh

Not to leap to Tyr's defence here, but surely England isn't the only country where the French have a reputation for being rude. I find that very hard to believe.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2020, 09:58:28 AM
Not to leap to Tyr's defence here, but surely England isn't the only country where the French have a reputation for being rude. I find that very hard to believe.

Parisians have a reputation for being rude, moreover Parisian waiters. The rest of the country is ok. Now, smug is a different deal.  :P

Valmy

I mean I guess but it is baked into their language so they are compelled to be rude? As in they are somehow culturally unable to NOT be rude? That is such idiotic bullshit that even the most psychotic francophobe would be hard pressed to come up with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2020, 09:59:26 AM

Parisians have a reputation for being rude, moreover Parisian waiters. The rest of the country is ok. Now, smug is a different deal.  :P

They all were nice to me  :goodboy:

But yeah this would be equivalent to taking every negative stereotype of New Yorkers and then claim it applies to every single speaker of English somehow.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on May 29, 2020, 09:59:26 AM

Stupid tourists deserve it, OTOH.  :P
I would agree about waiters though, too much tourist clientèle and they go crazy it seems.