Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

PRC

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 05:01:57 AM
RIP Uderzo :asterix:

RIP, made me look forward to trips to the library as a kid, big part of my childhood.

Josquius

Asterix nooooo.
I used to love it as a kid.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I used to have all the Asterix books and often read them while listening to the audio plays (from the 70s to 90s, radio plays/dramas on tape for kids were huge in Germany and ranged from just dumping the audio track of movies (James Bond) to properly scripted and directed dramas, usually something about kid detectives or fantasy/sci-fi or similar, but there was also a very popular Masters of the Universe series and, of course, Asterix, with actually quite well known German actors lending their voices to the characters).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I was introduced to Asterix in elementary school by a Dutch kid who moved to BC - was hooked.  :)

Syt

The Permit A38 from the movie The 12 Tasks of Asterix is still quite well known in Germany, and I believe France.

The full sequence here (in English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on March 24, 2020, 11:48:16 AM
The Permit A38 from the movie The 12 Tasks of Asterix is still quite well known in Germany, and I believe France.

The full sequence here (in English): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

Classic sequence, truly a masterpiece.

Josquius

Just got some junk mail through my door. Hays Travel advertising cruises.
....nope.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Hays? like the recruiters Hays?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

My interesting learning of the day :
Burgundy, the colour, is called Bordeaux in French.
Fascinating they sub one area for another.

Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2020, 12:40:04 PM
Hays? like the recruiters Hays?

One of the larger travel agents in the UK. Recently took over Thomas Cooks business when they went bust.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Astérix will go on. Goscinny died in 1977.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Oh that's quite a big one:

An earthquake of magnitude 7.8 struck offshore 218 kilometers south-southeast of Severo in Russia's Kuril Islands, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said on Tuesday.

Hope there's no tsunami risk to Japan or for that matter the Kurile island which iirc are quite low lying.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 05:01:57 AM
RIP Uderzo :asterix:

:(  I've been reading Asterix with my daughter.  New ones are still being made, by Jean-Yves Ferri and Didier Conrad.  One of the ones we are currently reading is Asterix and the Chariot Race, released in 2017.  The main antagonist is a charioteer called Coronavirus. 

mongers

In other news:

A local council is doing maintenance on a lifting bridge, you know where the roadway divides in two, rises to let boats through and obviously other bits move down etc.
So not the wisest place to park the works van.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"