The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 18, 2020, 02:58:07 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2020, 01:12:59 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 12:51:31 PM
Generally avoiding the more robustly flavoured or difficult to prepare meats or cuts :P

Yes, it's called "throwing it out when it goes bad" as opposed to the European  "change the recipe when it goes bad"  :moon:
The world's best food is peasant food, whatever the cuisine - forced creativity with shit cuts :P

True genious is creativity with innards.  :P Traditional Roman cuisine, for instance, has a heavy focus in them.
I kind of agree :blush:

Some of the best Italian food I've ever had has actually been a tripe dish I had in Florence and I do think that the highest level of cooking. Anyone can make a prime cut taste decent. It takes genius to transform something awful into something delicious.

By contrast in Istanbul I went to a Kurdish restaurant. One tripe dish was really good and one was the worst thing I have ever confronted on a dinner table. Generously, it smelled (and tasted) of the farm :x
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

It's funny really. Guts and other junky parts of meat get the most hate from vegetarians but they're the best thing to eat really, helps to reduce animal deaths by using the entire thing.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2020, 05:32:57 PM
It's funny really. Guts and other junky parts of meat get the most hate from vegetarians but they're the best thing to eat really, helps to reduce animal deaths by using the entire thing.

Really?  I was not aware vegetarians were sort of ok with eating only the best parts.  :P

Caliga

Scrapple  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I can't eat liver because it gives me gout.  :(

Beef heart is nasty. :yuk:

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2020, 05:34:53 PM

Really?  I was not aware vegetarians were sort of ok with eating only the best parts.  :P

Veggies I know tend not to make a sound over someone eating regular meat. They're used to it.
They throw a fit over the thought of haggis though.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

God I love haggis. Also veggie haggis is really really good too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 06:13:16 PM

Soy lungs cooked inside a soy stomach?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 06:15:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 06:13:16 PM

Soy lungs cooked inside a soy stomach?
The lungs, liver and heart is finely chopped so you don't really know it's meat at all because it's mixed with suet, oatmeal and spices etc.

So the veggie haggis just replaces the offal with chopped pulses and lentils I think. Change the suet for a veggie fat and otherwise it's much of a muchness.

I honestly think it's really as good as a normal haggis.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 06:34:39 PM

Damning with faint praise.  :P

Tonitrus

The first/only haggis I had was a veggie haggis in Edinburgh.  I thought it was rather good.  :sleep:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2020, 06:37:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 06:34:39 PM

Damning with faint praise.  :P
It's genuinely delicious. It's just a large sausage basically :P
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

I have had regular haggis once - at a wedding where the groom was Scottish.  It was delicious.   The wedding was in San Francisco and a lot of guests turned their noses up at it.  But they definitely were missing out. 

The Larch

I also had some misgivings when first trying Haggis but I also liked it quite a lot, and much more than I expected. It's better in small amounts, though.

Admiral Yi

Maybe I'll give it a try if I ever find myself at Dun Shelbh.  :sleep: