And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2020, 12:20:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2020, 11:39:49 AM
There is some kind of rule in the US that, seafood aside, you are only to eat cows, pigs, and chickens. Any other choices are highly suspect and likely to get you picked up by the CIA as a potential foreign spy.

Mutton has a strong taste, what most would consider gamey. Lamb is better. If you want to go with another bovidae besides cow go for with goat. Lean meat, not as gamey as sheep

What you want to eat is bison. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Don't you eat horse in the US? Weirdos.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2020, 11:52:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 11:46:31 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2020, 11:39:49 AM
There is some kind of rule in the US that, seafood aside, you are only to eat cows, pigs, and chickens. Any other choices are highly suspect and likely to get you picked up by the CIA as a potential foreign spy.
Yes. The American fondness for coward meats only is well known <_<

Coward meats? :unsure:
Generally avoiding the more robustly flavoured or difficult to prepare meats or cuts :P

I wonder if part of it, if it's late 19th century, was that beef and pork could be processed and tinned?
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

We have big open fields that were great for Cattle. Then we moved to feed lot systems which don't work well for Sheep and Goats (very prone to parasites), but are great for cattle and pigs. So the prices for those dropped and sheep and goats became less popular.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 12:51:31 PM
Generally avoiding the more robustly flavoured or difficult to prepare meats or cuts :P

Yes, it's called "throwing it out when it goes bad" as opposed to the European  "change the recipe when it goes bad"  :moon:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maximus

My brother and nephew raise sheep in northern Saskatchewan. From what I recall, most of their lambs are shipped overseas. There's just not much of a market for it in North America.

And yes, the wool is mostly a throwaway byproduct.

crazy canuck

It is a lucrative industry here - supplying local lamb to Vancouver restaurants that is.

Josquius

Quote from: Maximus on February 18, 2020, 01:13:21 PM
My brother and nephew raise sheep in northern Saskatchewan. From what I recall, most of their lambs are shipped overseas. There's just not much of a market for it in North America.

Doesn't Canada have hipsters?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I was driving home from the Popeye's and thinking about Homeric Hymns when it occurred to me why God has people sing at him in church.  He's auditioning people to be angels.

"Oh, that guy in the third row has a wonderful baritone!  I must have him for the Choir.  I think I'll arrange an accident in the parting lot."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2020, 01:25:38 PM
I was driving home from the Popeye's and thinking about Homeric Hymns when it occurred to me why God has people sing at him in church.  He's auditioning people to be angels.

"Oh, that guy in the third row has a wonderful baritone!  I must have him for the Choir.  I think I'll arrange an accident in the parting lot."

It is this kind of insightful theological commentary that keeps me coming back to Languish.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2020, 01:12:59 PM

Yes, it's called "throwing it out when it goes bad" as opposed to the European  "change the recipe when it goes bad"  :moon:
The world's best food is peasant food, whatever the cuisine - forced creativity with shit cuts :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on February 18, 2020, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Maximus on February 18, 2020, 01:13:21 PM

Doesn't Canada have hipsters?

Yes. They buy wool clothes from imported sources. There is no affordable Canadian garment industry.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: HVC on February 18, 2020, 12:18:19 PM
For small farms in NA wool is an expense rather then a profit maker. Costs more to shear it then you can sell it for

Same in Europe, for sheep farms more focused in milk than wool, shearing is a cost, not a boon.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 01:41:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2020, 01:12:59 PM

The world's best food is peasant food, whatever the cuisine - forced creativity with shit cuts :P

True genious is creativity with innards.  :P Traditional Roman cuisine, for instance, has a heavy focus in them.

Admiral Yi

Apparently the Boy Scouts have declared bankruptcy because of sexual abuse cases.  From NPR.