News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I remember reading as a child about range wars back in the 1860s-80s. The cattlemen and the shepherds did not get on with shared land for obvious reasons. Not sure how important that actually was  though.

According to wiki USA sheep peaked in 1881 at 51m and have declined ever since to only 6m today. UK has about 23m for comparison.

Valmy

There is some kind of rule in the US that, seafood aside, you are only to eat cows, pigs, and chickens. Any other choices are highly suspect and likely to get you picked up by the CIA as a potential foreign spy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 18, 2020, 11:39:49 AM
There is some kind of rule in the US that, seafood aside, you are only to eat cows, pigs, and chickens. Any other choices are highly suspect and likely to get you picked up by the CIA as a potential foreign spy.
Yes. The American fondness for coward meats only is well known <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Let's hope the Johnson regime doesn't sign a trade deal with the USA that bans us from eating dead sheep  :o

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 11:46:31 AM

Coward meats? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Huh.  Turkey dinners and lamb chops are against American rules?  CIA must be busy!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2020, 11:52:57 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 11:46:31 AM

Coward meats? :unsure:

Sheilbh eats only toasted eagle livers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

For small farms in NA wool is an expense rather then a profit maker. Costs more to shear it then you can sell it for
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Mutton has a strong taste, what most would consider gamey. Lamb is better. If you want to go with another bovidae besides cow go for with goat. Lean meat, not as gamey as sheep
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

crazy canuck

Roast lamb done to a perfect medium rare is amazing.  Problem is it is hard to get it done to perfection.  When you find a place that can do it, or even better if you have the skill to nail it at home, you have a little piece of heaven.  It is the thing I miss most since going vegan.

HVC

Are you vegan for dietary or ethical reasons?

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on February 18, 2020, 12:14:13 PM

Huh.  Turkey dinners and lamb chops are against American rules?  CIA must be busy!

Ok you got me :mellow:

I had a point that I was making a joke about, am I wrong though? We have a pretty narrow band of types of animals we consume.

Razgovory

I think that mutton, goat, and horse meat became associated with poverty in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017