And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2019, 09:30:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2019, 03:00:28 AM
So, we're having a repeat general election today, after the socdems failed to get a minority government going last time around. Most polls are projecting a slight decline for them, a far right surge, and another hung parliament. Fun times (not).

I just realized there was no face poll for this one, but I guess that at this point they're all well known by the forum.  :P

Didn't want to bore our fellow languishites, I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity for reruns in 2020.  :P <_<

Anyway, far right surges and becomes third largest party in Spain, but the left/right balance doesn't change much. Socdems win again after losing a few seats, and hung parliament it is.

Admiral Yi

The retards playing reconquista are now 3rd largest?

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 10, 2019, 05:52:15 PM
The retards playing reconquista are now 3rd largest?

They got 15% of the vote. They were polling well under 10% before the Barcelona riots, of which they have benefited tremendously.

Josquius

So... Conservative/ nazi coalition?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 10, 2019, 06:05:44 PM
So... Conservative/ nazi coalition?

Nah, they are far from a majority and overall they have less seats than the left. The left can't get a majority either unless they deal with the separatists, which won't probably happen.

There are some scenarios where the liberals could abstain and let a lefty government be sworn in without unsavory parties involved. The liberals have been nearly wiped out, so they have little to lose now.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2019, 06:11:19 PM
The liberals have been nearly wiped out, so they have little to lose now.

My God. My poor Cs :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2019, 09:36:53 PM

Rejecting a coalition with the socdems a few months ago was a blunder for the ages.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 11, 2019, 02:59:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 10, 2019, 09:36:53 PM

Rejecting a coalition with the socdems a few months ago was a blunder for the ages.

That, and going hard right on a fruitless bid to overcome PP as the main right wing party. Rivera was truly a disgrace for a party that could have been so much more. Let's see what happens now that he has resigned.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2019, 05:36:28 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 10, 2019, 09:30:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 10, 2019, 03:00:28 AM
So, we're having a repeat general election today, after the socdems failed to get a minority government going last time around. Most polls are projecting a slight decline for them, a far right surge, and another hung parliament. Fun times (not).

I just realized there was no face poll for this one, but I guess that at this point they're all well known by the forum.  :P

Didn't want to bore our fellow languishites, I'm sure we'll have plenty of opportunity for reruns in 2020.  :P <_<

Anyway, far right surges and becomes third largest party in Spain, but the left/right balance doesn't change much. Socdems win again after losing a few seats, and hung parliament it is.
Still find it fascinating that what sparked far-right revival in spain was separatism. It seems unique in Europe.

Also Cs deserve to be wiped out for working with the far-right. Don't fully know how you can be a friendly pro-European, liberal party (that, at least for a while, pretended to be centrist) that cooperates with fascists.

Interesting blog on this challenge for the European right:
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2019/07/05/lessons-from-ciudadanos-how-liberal-parties-struggle-to-deal-with-the-radical-right/
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2019, 07:30:08 AM
Also Cs deserve to be wiped out for working with the far-right. Don't fully know how you can be a friendly pro-European, liberal party (that, at least for a while, pretended to be centrist) that cooperates with fascists.

Everyone is cooperating with fascists. The left is no better: it works with separatists who staged a coup d'etat and suppress non-separatists.

That is the main fault line in Spanish politics nowadays. Which fascists do you work with? Rivera could have stood in the middle playing Kingmaker with both big parties, but tried instead to replace PP altogether. And failed spectacularly.

Sheilbh

I don't really see how separatists are fascists, have staged a coup d'etat or suppress opposition opinion if any of those terms are to actually mean anything.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 11, 2019, 01:17:41 PM
I don't really see how separatists are fascists

They don't have to be, but these particular separatists seem to be moving in a more radically right wing direction lately.

But then everybody seems to be doing that lately.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

I don't really see how separatists are fascists, have staged a coup d'etat or suppress opposition opinion if any of those terms are to actually mean anything.

It's the current lexicon of the Spanish right, mostly. You'll understand that with that kind of attitudes around it's not really easy to find common ground.

Iormlund

• Fascist is a term that is thrown so often it lost any meaning in Spain a long time ago. It was never that popular a philosophy here in the first place. Separatists are no less fascist than Vox (which is mostly reactionary).
  • The coup d'etat thing should be obvious, since it was on live TV.
  • As for suppressing non-separatists that is the day to day in Catalonia. To the point where until very recently it was taboo to express your disagreement. The rift that one can see in Catalonia today has been there for decades. It's simply exposed now.

Quote from: Valmy on November 11, 2019, 01:26:20 PM
They don't have to be, but these particular separatists seem to be moving in a more radically right wing direction lately.

It's not really a left-right thing. In fact the worst offenders are far left.