The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2019, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on October 24, 2019, 02:38:59 PM
Deep learning on a quantum blockchain.

Is VR not cool any more?

Hell no - why would you want to mimic something as lame as reality?  What a pointless use of good tech.
The new thing is real virtuality.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

VR has been mocked as an old turkey for more than 25 years. Sam and Max Hit the Road, Beneath a Steel Sky...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

AR was a big buzzword a few years back.
I think even block chain's time as the cure for all the world's ills has passed.
I really can't think what it is now.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2019, 04:47:37 PM
AR was a big buzzword a few years back.
I think even block chain's time as the cure for all the world's ills has passed.
I really can't think what it is now.

We are past hope

Oexmelin

Fourth monument to Emmett Till to be built in a decade. All previous ones were vandalized. This one will be bullet proof.

https://hyperallergic.com/523858/emmett-till-bulletproof-memorial/?fbclid=IwAR1f6R4E0jgCqyyBGpvCeG0tanQnvBDgRX2YS8PjJA7e_rY9-QKH_sdTa4U
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 24, 2019, 10:26:39 PM
Fourth monument to Emmett Till to be built in a decade. All previous ones were vandalized. This one will be bullet proof.

https://hyperallergic.com/523858/emmett-till-bulletproof-memorial/?fbclid=IwAR1f6R4E0jgCqyyBGpvCeG0tanQnvBDgRX2YS8PjJA7e_rY9-QKH_sdTa4U

When they were taking down some of the Confederate memorials I remember people posting stuff (not here of course) about how if they were tearing down monuments to Martin Luther King that there would be riots in the streets.  I pointed out that MLK monuments and monuments to civil right's leaders are attacked all the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Vienna ComicCon is next month. Special guests include Sean Astin, Steven Segal and Frank Miller. A Frank Miller autograph will cost €90, a photo with Steve Segal also €90  :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 24, 2019, 10:26:39 PM

It's just stupidass to build something like that in Mississippi or Alabama.  Those boys are never going to get better.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 23, 2019, 07:48:55 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 23, 2019, 06:26:55 AM
Give us some meaningless buzzwords at least, or the broad sector in which it'd be applied.  :P

Neural networks? Quantum computing? Thingamajigs?

Fucking Neural networks.  :mad:

I do that.

That's interesting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Linda Hamilton and Schwarzenegger compare Austrian and American snacks. :lmfao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rV7ZczsDGY

Love him talking Austro-German. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 25, 2019, 11:16:39 AM
Linda Hamilton and Schwarzenegger compare Austrian and American snacks. :lmfao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rV7ZczsDGY

Love him talking Austro-German. :D

I've been told that Ahnuld has a rather peculiar accent when speaking German. Styrian?

Edit: He sounds a bit like my brother's father in law.  :lol: But he's from Upper Austria.

Also, Sachertorte vs. Twinkies? Had no idea PEZ was Austrian, though. I was expecting Manner cookies at some point.

Syt

Yeah, Styrian and Upper Austrian is not very far apart.

Yeah, no Mannerschnitten was weird. Would have substituted for SCHOKOSCHIRMCHEN :D

PEZ is indeed Austrian, and is named after peppermint, i.e. PfeffErminZ
—Stephen Jay Gould

Hamilcar

I am allergic to the blockchain.

Hamilcar

San Francisco smells of shit and weed. I can't decide what's worse.  :glare: