Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 3304894 times)

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • On lockdown
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #71970 on: October 15, 2019, 05:33:25 am »
Fortnite is up there with famous YouTubers in making me feel there's a clear generational difference between me (a millenial) and the kids and it makes me feel old :(

Yeah, Youtubers, and apparent pop music for me. There is now clearly a generational gap between me and young people, and it is only going to widen.

I mean, timescale-wise, me listening to 90s rock now is EXACTLY like people listening to 60s rock when I was a kid. Depressing.

Yeah, one of the weirdest things of growing old is when you realize that stuff that was relevant in your life time (movies/music from the 1990s, for example) is closest to stuff you always thought as OOOOOOLD!!!! than current day music/movies.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71971 on: October 15, 2019, 05:38:57 am »
Hey, everyone knows that music was best in the [insert decade when you were a teen/came of age]! :mad:
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Liep

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Russia is fake news
« Reply #71972 on: October 15, 2019, 05:42:49 am »
Hey, everyone knows that music was best in the [insert decade when you were a teen/came of age]! :mad:

Except if that age was just after brit pop but before the Strokes. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

• Neil
« Reply #71973 on: October 15, 2019, 05:43:28 am »
I try to listen to a healthy dose of recent music. Keeps me young.  :)
You know I'm going to lose and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it, baby, I don't want to live forever.

Hong Kong Add Oil :showoff:

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71974 on: October 15, 2019, 06:09:00 am »
Tbf, I do make a habit of trying out new genres and new bands from genres I like.

My preferred decade is the 90s, but not all genres. E.g. friends and I listened to metal and grunge at the time, plus indie bands, while the charts were dominated by dance pop/techno which I still can't stand. I do like the charts music from the early to middling 80s, though, when I was a kid, so what do I know. :D
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

celedhring

• Octogon Champion
  • On lockdown
« Reply #71975 on: October 15, 2019, 06:09:49 am »

Except if that age was just after brit pop but before the Strokes. :P

Nickelback!!!!!!

You're right though, mid-late 1990s were pretty awful.

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #71976 on: October 15, 2019, 06:28:50 am »
I try to listen to a healthy dose of recent music. Keeps me young.  :)

Same. Spotify makes it easy and there's a fair bit I enjoy today so happy to have a mix of the music available now, what I had in my youth and what came before me. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

• Blessed by Valmy
  • we are not in Kansas anymore
« Reply #71977 on: October 15, 2019, 06:56:08 am »
I am not a fan of voice equalisers, unfortunately, so that rules out most of today's stuff for me.

Once I was past my early teens I found most pop godawful, so today's pop sounds even worse. There are a few bands/artists that are fairly recent and I listen to them, but just a handful and they are more about fitting to my existing taste than shaping it.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71978 on: October 15, 2019, 07:02:21 am »
Tamas prefers it old school. :P

Sheilbh

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71979 on: October 15, 2019, 07:37:35 am »
I am disproportionately furious about the Booker prize decision.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

• Neil
  • let's play bullets and bracelets
« Reply #71980 on: October 15, 2019, 08:14:13 am »

Any fury seems disproportionate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71981 on: October 15, 2019, 08:29:03 am »
So there was some criticism here towards Peter Handke getting the nobel prize for literature. English Wiki says:

"Handke held various highly controversial positions on matters such as the Yugoslav Wars. His speech at the funeral of Slobodan Milošević was described as an apology for far-right Serbian nationalism."

He converted from Catholicism to the Serbian-Orthodox church, because the Pope didn't criticize the NATO attacks on Serbia during the Kosovo War.

TheGuardian's Ed Vulliamy says:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/12/a-nobel-prize-that-dishonours-the-victims-of-genocide-peter-handke

"So, the highest award in literature goes to a writer who denies the existence of concentration camps that it was my accursed honour to find in Bosnia in 1992, who lauded Slobodan Milošević, mastermind of the hurricane of violence of which they were part, and contests the massacre at Srebrenica in 1995.

Peter Handke is an apologist for genocide within living memory, at the heart of Europe. He says one thing, while earth across the Balkans gives up its mass graves. While Handke proffers his views, the bones are facts."

Meanwhile, the German book prize went to Bosnian-born Saša Stanišić who wrote about his family's flight from civil war in the 90s, and how much geographic origin matters (in his opinion: it doesn't). He used his acceptance speech to criticize Handke for downplaying/negating Serbian atrocities during the Balkan Wars of the 90s.

Habbaku

• Octogon Champion
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #71982 on: October 15, 2019, 08:43:34 am »

Why?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71983 on: October 15, 2019, 04:02:09 pm »
:D  Everyone needs to read the last line.

In the list of necessary items - small silk flag (didn't realize why it was a necessity until reading the last line)

Duque de Bragança

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
« Reply #71984 on: October 15, 2019, 05:16:46 pm »

Except metal fans, unless they lived the "golden" '80s. :P