Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on October 14, 2019, 03:19:10 PM
Closed down?
Why? They were printing money.

The important part here is "before the new season". They didn't close down for good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Fortnite is up there with famous YouTubers in making me feel there's a clear generational difference between me (a millenial) and the kids and it makes me feel old :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2019, 03:35:13 PM
Fortnite is up there with famous YouTubers in making me feel there's a clear generational difference between me (a millenial) and the kids and it makes me feel old :(

I don't feel old, but I also don't really see the appeal of Fortnite either. Famous YouTubers just makes sense, though. Especially since a whole heap of them are Millennials.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I sometimes look at what kids these days are into and feel old.

Then I remember that when I was a kid I didn't really like what kids were into then either.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on October 14, 2019, 03:40:39 PM

I don't feel old, but I also don't really see the appeal of Fortnite either. Famous YouTubers just makes sense, though. Especially since a whole heap of them are Millennials.

I'm with Sheilbh. I don't see why people would want to follow these "content creators".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Habbaku on October 14, 2019, 03:40:39 PM

I don't know what Fortnite is really :ph34r:

With YouTubers I just didn't notice it until like 20,000 Londoners were trying to buy tickets to see two YouTubers box each other. And it just struck me this whole new culture had built up behind my back. It's fine I just suddenly noticed.

Same with Fortnite, I became aware of it because footballers were doing Fortnite victory celebrations and I was like - what? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

If by follow you mean subscribe to their channels, we do it because they make content that resonates somehow.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Yeah, Youtubers, and apparent pop music for me. There is now clearly a generational gap between me and young people, and it is only going to widen.

I mean, timescale-wise, me listening to 90s rock now is EXACTLY like people listening to 60s rock when I was a kid. Depressing.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on October 15, 2019, 05:29:28 AM

Yeah, Youtubers, and apparent pop music for me. There is now clearly a generational gap between me and young people, and it is only going to widen.

I mean, timescale-wise, me listening to 90s rock now is EXACTLY like people listening to 60s rock when I was a kid. Depressing.

Yeah, one of the weirdest things of growing old is when you realize that stuff that was relevant in your life time (movies/music from the 1990s, for example) is closest to stuff you always thought as OOOOOOLD!!!! than current day music/movies.

Syt

Hey, everyone knows that music was best in the [insert decade when you were a teen/came of age]! :mad:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Syt on October 15, 2019, 05:38:57 AM
Hey, everyone knows that music was best in the [insert decade when you were a teen/came of age]! :mad:

Except if that age was just after brit pop but before the Strokes. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

I try to listen to a healthy dose of recent music. Keeps me young.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Tbf, I do make a habit of trying out new genres and new bands from genres I like.

My preferred decade is the 90s, but not all genres. E.g. friends and I listened to metal and grunge at the time, plus indie bands, while the charts were dominated by dance pop/techno which I still can't stand. I do like the charts music from the early to middling 80s, though, when I was a kid, so what do I know. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould