News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on October 11, 2019, 08:45:44 PM
That's the trouble with pets. We always outlive them. Hang in there buddy.

Not to sound callous, but you should get another cat. That's the only thing that got me out of my funk when I had to put mine down.

Fortunately for me, my cats lasted a long time.  I had three cats, two were born with deformities and the owner was going to simply kill them/abandon them.  One had fused vertebrae in her tale and one leg longer than the other, the other cat had a gimpy paw because the bones in her leg didn't connect properly.  That was back in 2002.  One of the cats died in 2016, and the second one died in this summer.  The third cat was a stray that just sorta showed up.  I don't know exactly how old she was but she arrived back in 2003.  That was the one I had to put down today.  So each cat managed to live a fairly long time.  I think I might get some more cats.  I'm a recluse so I could use the company.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

:D  Everyone needs to read the last line.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I guess it's the 19th century equivalent to the movie cliché of, "You can't do this! I'm an American!" :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 11, 2019, 07:55:12 PM
I had to put down my last cat.  She had developed cancer of the mouth last July.  The cancer got pretty bad, bad enough that had a lot of difficulty eating and could no longer clean herself.  The vet said he had never seen a cancer that bad in a cat.  He had difficulty finding her tongue.  I am now catless. :(

:(

Raz, sad to hear that, but you did the right thing.

And as you've said in your next post, rescuing and looking after them for so long was doubly the decent thing to do.

Yes, I'd give it a while, but do consider another one;they are as you say pretty good company at times.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Vaseline, sperm oil, and spare nuts are as important today.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on October 12, 2019, 03:07:49 PM
I guess it's the 19th century equivalent to the movie cliché of, "You can't do this! I'm an American!" :P

The Romans in Cicero's time had a similar claim: "Civis Romanus sum."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2019, 03:27:22 PM
I had to put down my last cat.  She had developed cancer of the mouth last July.  The cancer got pretty bad, bad enough that had a lot of difficulty eating and could no longer clean herself.  The vet said he had never seen a cancer that bad in a cat.  He had difficulty finding her tongue.  I am now catless. :(

And as you've said in your next post, rescuing and looking after them for so long was doubly the decent thing to do.

Yes, I'd give it a while, but do consider another one;they are as you say pretty good company at times.

We've discussed adopting an animal with special needs if we get another pet, but we're unlikely to get an additional one as long as the 3 we have now are still with us.

mongers

Quote from: dps on October 12, 2019, 07:59:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 12, 2019, 03:27:22 PM

We've discussed adopting an animal with special needs if we get another pet, but we're unlikely to get an additional one as long as the 3 we have now are still with us.

Yes three is a fair few to deal with; Since my two died, I'm 'relying' on the wildlife, feeding the birds and deer stalking in the forest.

Oddly this afternoon I saw a sparrowhawk taking a bird in a town street, not seen that before.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Working in a choir singing contest held by Eurovision, which this year takes place in Barcelona.

The Danish contestants are really fun, but the Russians are probably going to win - they are the chorister equivalent of Ivan Drago. The Hungarian girls are the hottest.

Razgovory

I'm reading a textbook on Semiotics.  No, I don't know why I'm doing this anymore than you folks are.  I guess I just wish I could go back to school.  There is so much I don't understand.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 13, 2019, 10:49:18 AM
I'm reading a textbook on Semiotics.  No, I don't know why I'm doing this anymore than you folks are.  I guess I just wish I could go back to school.  There is so much I don't understand.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on October 13, 2019, 10:01:43 AM
Working in a choir singing contest held by Eurovision, which this year takes place in Barcelona.

The Danish contestants are really fun, but the Russians are probably going to win - they are the chorister equivalent of Ivan Drago. The Hungarian girls are the hottest.

Pics?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Ok, done with Cobi tanks for now. Unless the StuG-III comes back, or the SU-85. Or the KV-1 or KV-2.

—Stephen Jay Gould