Author Topic: The Off Topic Topic  (Read 2828950 times)

FunkMonk

• Can I Be: Ottoman Empire
  • Donald the Carpathian
Re: The Off Topic Topic
« Reply #71925 on: October 11, 2019, 07:30:13 pm »
"Funk is wronger by a couple orders of magnitude"

"Statistics are like mini-skirts. They give you good ideas, but hide the most important things."

We all know Funk is part of the Shallow State.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #71926 on: October 11, 2019, 07:55:12 pm »
I had to put down my last cat.  She had developed cancer of the mouth last July.  The cancer got pretty bad, bad enough that had a lot of difficulty eating and could no longer clean herself.  The vet said he had never seen a cancer that bad in a cat.  He had difficulty finding her tongue.  I am now catless. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

• Sugar Glider
  • Debout, les damnés de la Terre...
« Reply #71927 on: October 11, 2019, 08:45:44 pm »
That's the trouble with pets. We always outlive them. Hang in there buddy.

Not to sound callous, but you should get another cat. That's the only thing that got me out of my funk when I had to put mine down.

Barrister

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71928 on: October 12, 2019, 01:22:13 am »
I dunno. I think you need to give yourself a chance to grieve.

Our dog was put down in the spring, we got a new puppy a couple of weeks ago.  I love the pup, but sometimes I still think it's too soon.

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #71929 on: October 12, 2019, 02:19:20 am »
I'm sorry. :(
You are gay.

Razgovory

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Neil
  • Madman of Languish
« Reply #71930 on: October 12, 2019, 05:13:58 am »
That's the trouble with pets. We always outlive them. Hang in there buddy.

Not to sound callous, but you should get another cat. That's the only thing that got me out of my funk when I had to put mine down.

Fortunately for me, my cats lasted a long time.  I had three cats, two were born with deformities and the owner was going to simply kill them/abandon them.  One had fused vertebrae in her tale and one leg longer than the other, the other cat had a gimpy paw because the bones in her leg didn't connect properly.  That was back in 2002.  One of the cats died in 2016, and the second one died in this summer.  The third cat was a stray that just sorta showed up.  I don't know exactly how old she was but she arrived back in 2003.  That was the one I had to put down today.  So each cat managed to live a fairly long time.  I think I might get some more cats.  I'm a recluse so I could use the company.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

"I love how Raz just becomes the caricature for exactly what he is claiming doesn't actually exist...and he doesn't even know it! He is 100% oblivious to the irony of his own statements." - Berkut telling a lie.

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71931 on: October 12, 2019, 02:39:55 pm »
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Admiral Yi

• Neil
« Reply #71932 on: October 12, 2019, 02:52:33 pm »
 :D  Everyone needs to read the last line.
I'm up $25 on DGuller.

HVC

• Octogon Champion
  • I'm a very patient man
« Reply #71933 on: October 12, 2019, 03:06:57 pm »
Lol bullet proof flag.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

• Blessed by Valmy
« Reply #71934 on: October 12, 2019, 03:07:49 pm »
I guess it's the 19th century equivalent to the movie cliché of, "You can't do this! I'm an American!" :P
“There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.”

― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #71935 on: October 12, 2019, 03:27:22 pm »
I had to put down my last cat.  She had developed cancer of the mouth last July.  The cancer got pretty bad, bad enough that had a lot of difficulty eating and could no longer clean herself.  The vet said he had never seen a cancer that bad in a cat.  He had difficulty finding her tongue.  I am now catless. :(

:(

Raz, sad to hear that, but you did the right thing.

And as you've said in your next post, rescuing and looking after them for so long was doubly the decent thing to do.

Yes, I'd give it a while, but do consider another one;they are as you say pretty good company at times.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #71936 on: October 12, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
Vaseline, sperm oil, and spare nuts are as important today.
You are gay.

Habbaku

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
  • Mussoloony
« Reply #71937 on: October 12, 2019, 05:43:18 pm »
I guess it's the 19th century equivalent to the movie cliché of, "You can't do this! I'm an American!" :P

The Romans in Cicero's time had a similar claim: "Civis Romanus sum."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

• Octogon Champion
  • aa's boobs
« Reply #71938 on: October 12, 2019, 07:59:31 pm »

And as you've said in your next post, rescuing and looking after them for so long was doubly the decent thing to do.

Yes, I'd give it a while, but do consider another one;they are as you say pretty good company at times.

We've discussed adopting an animal with special needs if we get another pet, but we're unlikely to get an additional one as long as the 3 we have now are still with us.

mongers

• Blessed by Valmy
  • Embrace the solitude
« Reply #71939 on: October 12, 2019, 08:09:10 pm »

We've discussed adopting an animal with special needs if we get another pet, but we're unlikely to get an additional one as long as the 3 we have now are still with us.

Yes three is a fair few to deal with; Since my two died, I'm 'relying' on the wildlife, feeding the birds and deer stalking in the forest.

Oddly this afternoon I saw a sparrowhawk taking a bird in a town street, not seen that before.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"