And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2019, 03:34:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdkd-Z3Zrp8

US diplomat's wife kills British kid in hit and run (she was driving on the wrong side of the road), flees country, State Department not waiving immunity.
Update on this. Unclear if she was entitled to diplomatic immunity, US not waiving. And now:
QuoteDonald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat who killed a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that "we've all done it".

More follows...
:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I really think the formal launch of the impeachment inquiry has blown a fuse in his head.

Valmy

We have all killed somebody with our cars and drove away and fled the country? Huh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 09, 2019, 04:10:54 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2019, 03:34:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdkd-Z3Zrp8

US diplomat's wife kills British kid in hit and run (she was driving on the wrong side of the road), flees country, State Department not waiving immunity.
Update on this. Unclear if she was entitled to diplomatic immunity, US not waiving. And now:
QuoteDonald Trump has defended the wife of a US diplomat who killed a British teenager in a road accident, suggesting it is difficult to drive on the other side of the road and that "we've all done it".

More follows...
:mellow:

When can we escape this waking nightmare?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

He apparently struggled with our, and I quote, "opposite roads" :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The British police say the woman (Anne Sacoolas) "cooperated fully with the police" after the accident.  The family claims differently, but I think the police more credible on this.

It also seems likely that the US embassy staff was the force that made her leave the country, though that is less clear.

Lots of British tabloid stuff on this, but I trust the British tabloid press like I trust Trump when it comes to the truth.  It's fucking ghoulish, frankly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2019, 04:36:59 PM
The British police say the woman (Anne Sacoolas) "cooperated fully with the police" after the accident.  The family claims differently, but I think the police more credible on this.

It also seems likely that the US embassy staff was the force that made her leave the country, though that is less clear.

Lots of British tabloid stuff on this, but I trust the British tabloid press like I trust Trump when it comes to the truth.  It's fucking ghoulish, frankly.

I will say the BBC trotting them out for an extended segment on breakfast television yesterday seemed in poor taste.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I hear there was almost literally the exact opposite case some years ago with a British diplomat killing someone in the US and diplomatic immunity being waived in that case?
My Google is failing me though. Anyone heard anything of this being an actual thing that happened?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2019, 04:53:35 PM
I hear there was almost literally the exact opposite case some years ago with a British diplomat killing someone in the US and diplomatic immunity being waived in that case?
My Google is failing me though. Anyone heard anything of this being an actual thing that happened?

I saw something about a Georgian drunk driver two years ago, not a Brit.  Georgia waived his immunity.  I also remember from my time in DC that another Georgian diplomat killed someone while driving.  He fled the US and the Georgian government sent him back.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 09, 2019, 04:41:37 PM
I will say the BBC trotting them out for an extended segment on breakfast television yesterday seemed in poor taste.
I know the media, especially the tabloid press, will basically phone grieving families and say: we're running this story, you can comment or not. But in a sensitive, sympathetic way.

I don't think that's happening here. The death was recent, but about 6 weeks ago. I think the family are campaigning to raise awareness, which so far has got a meeting with the Foreign Secretary and statements of support from the PM as well. It may not work and it could even be counter-productive. I don't think it's the BBC trotting them out and I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to do media in the US. And I can't blame them for trying.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I don't blame the family at all. I do look down on the BBC for giving them such a long 'news' segment.

Liep

More border control! This time it's criminals from Malmø we want to stop as their gangs have started interfering in the Copenhagen gang war. We hope to build on the succesful border control on the German border that has had zero effect. We're almost back to the good old days of pre-Schengen.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Øresundstolden coming when? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Saladin

Quote from: Liep on October 10, 2019, 02:29:03 AM
More border control! This time it's criminals from Malmø we want to stop as their gangs have started interfering in the Copenhagen gang war. We hope to build on the succesful border control on the German border that has had zero effect. We're almost back to the good old days of pre-Schengen.

Yeah, so fucking stupid.
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on October 09, 2019, 04:53:35 PM

Well, who is the vassal state of whom, exactly?!