Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2019, 02:40:04 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2019, 02:23:13 PM
I use a splash of vinegar in the water when making hard boiled eggs. Apparently, it keeps them from breaking/leaking out.

I don't think it works but it's tradition.

You're supposed to use a lot more than a splash, and it is supposed to make the eggs easier to peel.

:lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Very moving moment in Parliament discussing a Domestic Abuse Bill when a Labour MP, Rosie Duffield, gave a speech about her experience in an abusive relationship:
https://news.sky.com/story/labour-mp-rosie-duffield-reveals-she-was-a-victim-of-domestic-abuse-11825612

Apparently the whole debate was very good. But, sadly overshadowed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

There's a great animal cruelty bill had its passage messed up by Johnson too.
What could we have done with a competent government these past 3 years...
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've lost 35 pounds this year.  Mostly due to depression.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I eat more when depressed.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I thought I did as well.  Ever since my dad died I've become just sort of ambivalent.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2019, 02:42:29 PM
But likely doesn't.

Correct.

QuoteSome variables had little to no effect. Adding small amounts of vinegar, baking soda or salt to your water is pointless. None offer advantages for peeling, while at the extremes, vinegar and baking soda produce off-flavors and colors (ghostly blue egg whites!).
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/23/dining/how-to-hard-boil-eggs.html

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2019, 06:41:19 AM
I've lost 35 pounds this year.  Mostly due to depression.

Hang in there Raz. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

It certainly couldn't stop Roy Cohn's gay sex.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 03, 2019, 02:25:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 03, 2019, 01:37:40 PM
It certainly couldn't stop Roy Cohn's gay sex.

Who?

Are you just riffing on the "Who is Roy Cohn?" headline, or do you not know who he is.  Because we've had a veritable Roy Cohn moment the last few years due to his later-years connection to Trump...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.