And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2019, 09:02:50 AM
Omg only alt-right types say "normie"

On the Hungarian news site I frequent, there is an idiot in the comment section who clearly goes to the 4chan alt-right circles and is desperate to spread the usage of "NPC" as a derogative term to leftists.

dps

Eddie Teach

Signifying they don't think for themselves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

I didn't realize that the Hungarian alt-right types were so nerdy.

Eddie Teach

Playing rpgs doesn't have the stigma it used to.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

But doesn't that make those alt-righters PC? I thought they'd hate that.

And yeah, there seems to be a bit of renaissance of pen & paper RPGs. I'm myself tempted to go back to the hobby, but that would mean less time for boardgames...  :ph34r:

Syt

Meanwhile, in 1980s Britain.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Switch those mattresses with a swimming pool, and you have Brits in Spain in the 2010s  :P

Zanza

celedhring

Closest stat I found for Spain is a poll 8 years ago asking people whether they had ever holidayed abroad, and only 52% respondents had. So I guess we can't be that hard on yanks.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2019, 04:40:53 AM
Closest stat I found for Spain is a poll 8 years ago asking people whether they had ever holidayed abroad, and only 52% respondents had. So I guess we can't be that hard on yanks.

And unlike Spain, America is a very large country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Only found it interesting and I think it has less to do with America being a large country and more with Americans having very little vacation time and many living paycheck to paycheck.

Only comparable statistic I found for Germany: Question is "Have you ever been on vacation abroad?"

Also found statistics that about a third of Germans have their main vacation in Germany each year and about 15-20% are too poor for vacations.

Apparently about a third of EU citizens never left their home country. Cannot access the source for that though.

celedhring

I wish I could access the full source of the Spanish poll too. The data reported by media seems to suggest it's a matter of income indeed. Richest regions have more people travelling abroad than poorer ones. Navarre and Catalonia had the largest share of people going abroad, and they are both a) rich b) border France.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2019, 05:21:50 AM
I wish I could access the full source of the Spanish poll too. The data reported by media seems to suggest it's a matter of income indeed. Richest regions have more people travelling abroad than poorer ones. Navarre and Catalonia had the largest share of people going abroad, and they are both a) rich b) border France.

Would be interesting to check those stats but discounting France and Portugal. Over here you don't really need to be rich to travel abroad, I mean, Portugal is barely 1 hour away by car from my hometown.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2019, 05:45:24 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2019, 05:21:50 AM

Would be interesting to check those stats but discounting France and Portugal. Over here you don't really need to be rich to travel abroad, I mean, Portugal is barely 1 hour away by car from my hometown.  :P

Thing is, Portugal does not count as abroad for Galicia. :D
Well, Northern Portugal actually.  :P