Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2019, 11:40:41 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
What's so special about pods?  There's billions of other plastic package thingys out there.

A lot of one-use plastic packaging and tools (i.e. plastic dishes, forks, straws) are getting banned in Europe.

Good. Plastic forks piss me off so much. They should be taxed to oblivion to force shops to use wood ones.
I miss old fashioned wooden chip forks.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2019, 04:08:10 PM
They should be taxed to oblivion to force shops to use wood ones.

Maybe if they can get them to not feel like a tongue depressor going in one's mouth. Mostly make me feel like gagging.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Who was watching musicals in the silent film era?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

The IEEE Spectrum had a couple articles on Minitel; the French Bulletin Board Service from the 80s:

Minitel: The Online World France Built Before the Web

Log on like it's 1985; A Fragment of Minitel Returns!

True to the title of the last article, you can actually visit a reconstruction of Minitel:  http://sm.3615.live/

If you're a parent; show your kids this and tell them how easy they have it now.   ;)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 15, 2019, 04:52:36 PM

Heterosexuals.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

One can argue that the music video was invented during that era. Many companies shot short films to accompany popular songs that were played live in cinema parlors.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2019, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2019, 11:40:41 AMA lot of one-use plastic packaging and tools (i.e. plastic dishes, forks, straws) are getting banned in Europe.

Good. Plastic forks piss me off so much. They should be taxed to oblivion to force shops to use wood ones.

The EU has already banned them for 2021.

Savonarola

From what I remember, in the very early days of silent movies they'd film music hall acts and record the music separately. They didn't have a way to synchronize the sound and music; so it didn't catch on.  The relatively high percentage you're seeing around 1910 is before movies really took off as a commercial art form, so even a small number of experimental films would make for a decent percentage.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I would if I was around at the time. Sounds more enjoyable than modern musicals.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on January 15, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
The IEEE Spectrum had a couple articles on Minitel; the French Bulletin Board Service from the 80s:

Minitel: The Online World France Built Before the Web

Log on like it's 1985; A Fragment of Minitel Returns!

True to the title of the last article, you can actually visit a reconstruction of Minitel:  http://sm.3615.live/

If you're a parent; show your kids this and tell them how easy they have it now.   ;)

Hé oh!  :frog: Other European countries had comparable systems though France seemed to have the most success, per capita. Mongers and I mentioned the Minitel not long ago in fact.
1985 is actually pretty charitable. :D

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.