News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

After trying so many different methods of making coffee, I've settled back into using a drip coffee maker.  I've been splurging on some decent beans though and grinding them as needed. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

1940 radio news, American ones: https://archive.org/details/1940RadioNews/1940-08-16-CBS-Battle-Of-Britain.mp3

Link leads you directly to my favourite bit so far - it is almost surreal to hear all the familiar European cities and nations in the context of viciously fighting each other.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2019, 09:02:38 AM
After trying so many different methods of making coffee, I've settled back into using a drip coffee maker.  I've been splurging on some decent beans though and grinding them as needed.
I use a Nespresso Vertuoline.  When it breaks I'm planning on converting to an 'original' (i.e. can only do espresso), since I only ever drink espresso and those units do it better.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: Caliga on January 15, 2019, 10:31:44 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 15, 2019, 09:02:38 AM
I use a Nespresso Vertuoline.  When it breaks I'm planning on converting to an 'original' (i.e. can only do espresso), since I only ever drink espresso and those units do it better.

Is it really worth it wasting money on coffee pods? Filling up the holder with a scoop of ground coffee is a matter of seconds and I can buy a bag of decent ground coffee for 3-5 pounds.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on January 15, 2019, 10:47:01 AM

Is it really worth it wasting money on coffee pods?

No. They're horribly overpriced and generally not very good.

Tamas

BTW I find it telling of our general hipocricy as a species that we are tearing our hair out over plastic this and that, but somehow has so far avoided the topic of coffee pods and their environmental impact.

Oexmelin

Not really? I have heard the environmental criticism about coffee pods for years now, which forced Nestle to set up a recycling program.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 15, 2019, 10:54:37 AM
Not really? I have heard the environmental criticism about coffee pods for years now, which forced Nestle to set up a recycling program.

Ah, ok then. I've just never seen it on the mainstream.

derspiess

I've heard grumbling about it, but not as much as I would've thought.  So I kind of see where Tamas is coming from.

Honestly I never really liked the way coffee tasted out of k-pods.  Never tasted like fresh brewed coffee.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on January 15, 2019, 09:00:35 AM
I do have a nice Krups espresso machine, complete with the nozzle to make cappuccino; but ever since I've come back from Colombia I've found that I only drink American style coffee.  My cheap-o Mr. Coffee coffee maker works fine for that (though I do grind my own beans.)

My mom's machine was a Krups.  Very nice machine.

Of course, no matter how you make coffee, the quality of the beans matters a lot.  So does the quality of the water, for that matter--a couple of places where I've lived, the local water was so bad, we took to using bottled water to make coffee with.

celedhring

There's a movement to ban one-use pods over here, it's getting some traction and IIRC some Spanish regions have passed or are considering laws to that effect.

Admiral Yi

What's so special about pods?  There's billions of other plastic package thingys out there.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2019, 11:39:29 AM
What's so special about pods?  There's billions of other plastic package thingys out there.

A lot of one-use plastic packaging and tools (i.e. plastic dishes, forks, straws) are getting banned in Europe.

Admiral Yi

Are you banning the spork?? :o

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on January 15, 2019, 11:40:41 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2019, 11:39:29 AM

A lot of one-use plastic packaging and tools (i.e. plastic dishes, forks, straws) are getting banned in Europe.

I hope that impacts how things are packaged over here. It is crazy how much packaging junk you have to deal with.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."