News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Instant coffee. :x

Only acceptable when used to make Greek frappe coffee.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

US has a wide instant coffee gap with Russia! Good thing this isn't still in the Cold War, else the US would have some work to do to close the IC gap!!

Admiral Yi

Keep in mind it's retail brewed, which means you're not just keeping a shitty jar of Nescafe in the cupboard, you're going to a restaurant or coffee shop and getting a cup of swill.

The Larch

In new bizarre political news from Spain, it has been revealed today that our brand of neofascists, Vox, were bankrolled in the 2014 European elections by none others than the Iranian People's Mujahedeens, the most active opposition group to the Islamic Republic of Iran, and who were labeled a terrorist organization by the US and the EU until 2012 and 2009 respectively.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on January 13, 2019, 04:30:22 PM
In new bizarre political news from Spain, it has been revealed today that our brand of neofascists, Vox, were bankrolled in the 2014 European elections by none others than the Iranian People's Mujahedeens, the most active opposition group to the Islamic Republic of Iran, and who were labeled a terrorist organization by the US and the EU until 2012 and 2009 respectively.

The guys and gals now based in Albania, in a Waco style compound no less.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2019, 10:14:23 AM
You're in good company!

I'm surprised by Australia; when I was there local coffee shops with the Orange-Mocha-Choca-Truffle-Latte type drinks abounded.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 13, 2019, 01:16:31 PM
Instant coffee. :x

Only acceptable when used to make Greek frappe coffee.

I bought a jar of instant coffee this morning.  $4.  It'll last me a month.

I used to buy coffee (brewed) at the cafeteria downstairs.  $2 per cup.  One in the morning, one in the afternoon.  $4/day, $20/week, $80/month.

My instant coffee is warm and bitter - all I'm really looking for in coffee anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Stovetop espresso is much better than instant and equally quick/cheap. Not sure how available it is outside of civilised coffee nations though.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 14, 2019, 05:47:27 PM
Stovetop espresso is much better than instant and equally quick/cheap. Not sure how available it is outside of civilised coffee nations though.

Well they are available in the UK, so doesn't explain that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Lots of ways to make coffee that are cheap and doesn't take a long time (though not quite so fast as instant).  All of them require more equipment than I have available in my office, which is a microwave and a kettle.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

I used to make stovetop espresso, now I just make a Peet's coffee in a press - equally quick
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2019, 05:56:23 PM

Well they are available in the UK, so doesn't explain that.

To be honest, I suspect a big part is that it's the coffee-making method most similar to making tea.

celedhring

Quote from: PDH on January 14, 2019, 06:02:34 PM
I used to make stovetop espresso, now I just make a Peet's coffee in a press - equally quick

We probably need to fully open this can of worms and make a "favorite way of making coffee" thread.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 13, 2019, 04:30:22 PM

Trump still hasn't got the Mexicans to pay for the wall and these dudes already have muslims paying for their xenophobic party. Respect.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on January 14, 2019, 06:00:18 PM

Lots of ways to make coffee that are cheap and doesn't take a long time (though not quite so fast as instant).  All of them require more equipment than I have available in my office, which is a microwave and a kettle.

If you have a kettle, go with a French press. If possible combined with a coffee grinder.