News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 01:03:48 PM
:( What about accordion factories or mime schools?

All sent to China to keep them safe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 11, 2019, 11:33:13 AM
YouGov decided to put data on the "Brits say the opposite of what they mean" meme.

So this joke is right, then.  :lol:

Valmy

To be fair to us, it looks like that at least a quarter of Brits don't know when other Brits are calling them idiots either.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2019, 03:35:40 PM
To be fair to us, it looks like that at least a quarter of Brits don't know when other Brits are calling them idiots either.

With the greatest respect, it's probably new immigrants messing with the numbers

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2019, 03:44:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2019, 03:35:40 PM

With the greatest respect, it's probably new immigrants messing with the numbers

It feels nice to be listened to :)
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

I'd be curious to see the results for other countries. Wonder if the Scandis get it more?
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Man charged over online 'pick up' videos11 January 2019 

Police have charged a man in connection with videos posted online that showed men trying to pick up women.

The 37-year-old man was arrested following an inquiry into footage of men chatting up members of the opposite sex in the street.

Police Scotland confirmed on Thursday that it was looking into videos on YouTube, featuring what the force described as "predatory behaviour".

The man is expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Monday.

It followed publication of a BBC The Social video exploring "pick-up artist" Adnan Ahmad's online video posts.

On Thursday, police said they were aware of the videos offering advice and guidance on how to pick up the opposite sex, particularly young women.

And they urged anyone with information regarding such individuals to contact them.

Mr Ahmed, known to his YouTube followers as "Addy Agame", has defended his videos, which he said were nothing more than a "bunch of guys talking to a bunch of girls".

:blink:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46843880
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2019, 03:54:33 AM
I'd be curious to see the results for other countries. Wonder if the Scandis get it more?

Hard to make a like-for-like comparison with non-English speaking countries though. FWIW in Spanish for example "con todo el respeto" ("with great respect") is rather unambiguous, it's nearly always used to preface something that shows you don't respect the people you're talking to  :lol:

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2019, 08:19:41 AM

Man charged over online 'pick up' videos11 January 2019 

Police have charged a man in connection with videos posted online that showed men trying to pick up women.

The 37-year-old man was arrested following an inquiry into footage of men chatting up members of the opposite sex in the street.

Police Scotland confirmed on Thursday that it was looking into videos on YouTube, featuring what the force described as "predatory behaviour".

The man is expected to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Monday.

It followed publication of a BBC The Social video exploring "pick-up artist" Adnan Ahmad's online video posts.

On Thursday, police said they were aware of the videos offering advice and guidance on how to pick up the opposite sex, particularly young women.

And they urged anyone with information regarding such individuals to contact them.

Mr Ahmed, known to his YouTube followers as "Addy Agame", has defended his videos, which he said were nothing more than a "bunch of guys talking to a bunch of girls".

:blink:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46843880

What was he charged with?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2019, 03:54:33 AM

Ja ja.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Ha,
instant coffee still accounts for over 75 percent of coffee bought to drink in British homes, as opposed to well under 10 percent in the U.S. and France and one percent in Italy.[13]

take that you Euros and Yanks.  :bowler:

celedhring

You're in good company!

Josquius

I'd say it's less preferences and more "gives a shit". I don't think many would actually prefer instant.

Both taste like shit so....
██████
██████
██████

mongers