News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

To tie in a bit with the veganism thread: is it ethical to block your content-providers (the web page owners) from getting compensated for their work? :P

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 06:26:50 AM
To tie in a bit with the veganism thread: is it ethical to block your content-providers (the web page owners) from getting compensated for their work? :P

As long as it doesn't violate any user agreements or similar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

ELON MUSK PLANS TO MURDER US ALL!

Here Are the Odds That One of SpaceX's Internet Satellites Will Hit Someone

In case you don't want to click on the link: [spoiler]45% over a six year period[/spoiler] according to the FCC.

I didn't know the FCC calculated risk of space debris hitting people for satellite communication systems.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

YouGov decided to put data on the "Brits say the opposite of what they mean" meme.

Admiral Yi

In the US there's a noticeable difference between "I hear what you are saying" and "I hear ya."  The second one always means "you're right."

FunkMonk

Sounds like Brits are just bad people.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on January 11, 2019, 11:31:33 AM

In case you don't want to click on the link: [spoiler]45% over a six year period[/spoiler] according to the FCC.

I didn't know the FCC calculated risk of space debris hitting people for satellite communication systems.

Anyone remember Skylab?  That scared the crap out of me when I was about 6 years old.  My brothers told me it would probably land on our house.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

How does that compare to the gun or car industries?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 12:28:45 PM

The chance that a SpaceX satellite will hit the gun or car industries is much lower, about 1 percent.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2019, 12:52:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2019, 12:28:45 PM

The chance that a SpaceX satellite will hit the gun or car industries is much lower, about 1 percent.

:( What about accordion factories or mime schools?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2019, 11:35:56 AM
In the US there's a noticeable difference between "I hear what you are saying" and "I hear ya."  The second one always means "you're right."

:huh:

Not always.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Josquius

Surprised there's so little variation between the two.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2019, 01:55:27 PM
Yuhuh

No, 'I hear ya' can definitely be dismissive. Cue rolling eyes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.