News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

The artist was a Black woman.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on February 12, 2018, 04:19:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2018, 03:55:04 PM
I like her dress and the overall style but I can't help but feel that the artist portrayed a black woman who is not Michelle. The likeness is...limited.
Ya'll look alike.

It's "y'all", ya yokel.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I've seen pictures of Garbon. His resemblance to Michelle Obama is less than the woman in the painting.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

It just struck me that I've never read any articles about what, if any, hair relaxer Michelle uses.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 12, 2018, 04:35:17 PM
I've seen pictures of Garbon. His resemblance to Michelle Obama is less than the woman in the painting.

Jos has as well.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2018, 04:37:24 PM
It just struck me that I've never read any articles about what, if any, hair relaxer Michelle uses.

Have you read many articles about the hair relaxers that famous black women use?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2018, 05:02:38 PM
Have you read many articles about the hair relaxers that famous black women use?

Beelions

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2018, 04:54:21 PM
Those arms  :wub: :worthy:

I totally missed the memo on the arms. What's the deal? 

HVC

Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2018, 03:55:04 PM
I like her dress and the overall style but I can't help but feel that the artist portrayed a black woman who is not Michelle. The likeness is...limited.

looks more like a young Aisha Tyler
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I can't help but feel you just pulled a black woman's name out of a hat. :P

Also, love her! Seen her in person performing standup/giving book readings several times. :wub:

Tamas

This "historical" RPG by this Gamergater developer has come out, Kingdom Come Deliverance.

It takes place in 14th century Bohemia, so the Rock Paper Shotgun reviewer immediately pointed out two glaring issues warranting "further discussion". One, is the lack of black people in the game, and secondly, the negative portrayal of Cumans in the game.

But that's not what really hit me in the head. But rather, this comment under the review:

QuoteThe problem with this game being described as historically accurate is that it presents a historical theory to benefit its desired story / game style, as does all historical fiction. I've got no issue with historical inaccuracies in fiction – Braveheart for example is a great story despite its historical failings – but to describe it as accurate would be wrong.

This piece of entertainment shows a Bohemia with limited female roles and no PoC – this is an inherently conservative reading of the sources. That's not bad history but would be strenuously argued by other historians – calling this 'accurate' gives the idea there is no such argument.

Qhy does this matter? Our cultures are based upon a foundation of our shared history. If that is distorted by the idea that (for example) women were never economic actors in their own right then it becomes harder to improve our culture to one of better equality

I am sorry but in what way does it help the equality of either women or persons of colour if we pretend that they have been enjoying equal rights (or even a presence) in medieval Europe as white males of noble birth?

To me that akin to trying to demonise the Nazis: in their case, you need the context of their humanity to truly grasp the horror they represent and the horror we must be vigilant to avoid as it can come back any time it is let to.

In case of medieval society, it should be emphasised how your birth and gender decided your fate in the caste system they had, precisely to point out the wrongs of that system.

garbon

Eastern euro trap. Anyway, I would read the comments on the article. I think they further explain why there should have been a bit more critical vision around that - even if just what you have said.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2018, 01:05:20 PM
Eastern euro trap. Anyway, I would read the comments on the article. I think they further explain why there should have been a bit more critical vision around that - even if just what you have said.

To be fair the developer seems like a Class A jerk and some of the game sounds like really cringe-worthy immature macho BS, but still, the RPS article and these kind of comments are the other side of that coin, that keep fuelling each others' fires and creating a wonderful new world for us.