News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

I'm more disturbed by the kid taking a dump on the girls feet.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

When I was last on the Thai-Burmese border (a couple of decades ago), the hill-tribes tended to wear either: (a) bright and colorful traditional outfits; or (2) more commonly, second hand Western clothing from a couple of decades before (often choosing the brightest and most colorful examples). At that time, that meant a lot of old '70s clothes. So walking through the jungle hills you might come across a Karen tribesman carrying a home-made shotgun and a machete, while wearing a silver lame disco shirt with wide lapels.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2016, 09:09:06 AM
When I was last on the Thai-Burmese border (a couple of decades ago), the hill-tribes tended to wear either: (a) bright and colorful traditional outfits; or (2) more commonly, second hand Western clothing from a couple of decades before (often choosing the brightest and most colorful examples). At that time, that meant a lot of old '70s clothes. So walking through the jungle hills you might come across a Karen tribesman carrying a home-made shotgun and a machete, while wearing a silver lame disco shirt with wide lapels.

:lol:

photo or it didn't happen.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/couple-encounters-black-metal-band-woods-engagement-shoot/story?id=42938480

QuoteJohn Awesome and Nydia Hernandez were having a lovely engagement photo shoot in Holy Jim Canyon, California, when they encountered something unusual: a black metal band in the middle of the woods.

The band, Coldvoid, was also in the area shooting promo photos for its music, using the full moon on Sunday as its menacing backdrop.

"During the last part of the session, we noticed a few guys with some corpse paint makeup on sitting at a nearby bench blaring out some black metal music," Awesome, 34, of Orange County, told ABC News. "We just randomly thought it would be a funny idea if we could get them to be a part of our engagement shoot. So we approached them and asked and they more than happy to accept! Super nice people. I seriously can't make this stuff up."

The couple's photographer, Janet Wheeland, struck up a conversation with the band, saying, "Looking good guys!"

Dressed in head-to-toe black clothing with lots of leather and spikes, Coldvoid even had creepy props with them, including a candelabrum, nails and swords, which definitely made for interesting engagement pictures when they crashed the background of the lovebirds' sweet poses.

"They gave us a copy of their new demo and it was the perfect eerie soundtrack for the drive out of the woods," said Wheeland. "It was a perfect, spontaneous finale to our photo shoot. We couldn't have planned it better."

The unique photos have gone viral with nearly 600,000 views on Imgur.

"It was a perfect, spontaneous finale to our photo shoot," Wheeland said.

Awesome and Hernandez are no strangers to the idea of a themed photo shoot, though. In an ode to Awesome's favorite movie, "Forrest Gump," the two had already taken some Forrest and Jenny-themed shots earlier that day with a Bubba Gump hat and beautiful flower crown. Wheeland had encouraged them to do something to make their photos unique and personal, but what none of them knew was just how unique and personal their engagement pictures would eventually become.

The soon-to-bride and groom plan to wed in fall of next year.

But how will they ever possibly top the Halloween-esque engagement pictures?

"If this band ends up crashing our wedding reception," Awesome joked.

:punk: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 24, 2016, 08:57:26 AM
I'm more disturbed by the kid taking a dump on the girls feet.

The kid is just squatting; doesn't mean he or she is taking a dump.

Eddie Teach

He kinda looks like Terrence Howard.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 24, 2016, 10:09:45 AM
He kinda looks like Terrence Howard.

Yeah, you're right.  :lol:

How do they not invite them to do the reception?  To every anniversary?  How often do you get the chance to be inextricably linked to a black metal band?  That doesn't just happen, you know.

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2016, 10:16:43 AMHow often do you get the chance to be inextricably linked to a black metal band?

Because it could end up something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pid9uwR2MuM
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 24, 2016, 09:23:22 AM
Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2016, 09:09:06 AM

:lol:

photo or it didn't happen.  :P

I didn't get a photo of that fellow, but I did get a photo of another guy we met.

While walking in the same area, we came across some tribesmen busy smuggling opium. One of the guys was super-ugly, because of his habit of chewing betel-nut; this rotted his teeth and turned the stumps a bright red.

The guy was super friendly, and very pleased with what I assume was his Vietnam-era American handgun. With his express permission, I took a pic of him standing there proudly holding his gun. I can't remember what he was wearing, though, so I assume it was nothing remarkable.

Unfortunately, the camera I had back then was a polaroid. I still have the pic in a drawer somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on October 24, 2016, 10:20:00 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2016, 10:16:43 AMHow often do you get the chance to be inextricably linked to a black metal band?

Because it could end up something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pid9uwR2MuM

That would be. Fucking. Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2016, 10:24:13 AM

I didn't get a photo of that fellow, but I did get a photo of another guy we met.

While walking in the same area, we came across some tribesmen busy smuggling opium. One of the guys was super-ugly, because of his habit of chewing betel-nut; this rotted his teeth and turned the stumps a bright red.

The guy was super friendly, and very pleased with what I assume was his Vietnam-era American handgun. With his express permission, I took a pic of him standing there proudly holding his gun. I can't remember what he was wearing, though, so I assume it was nothing remarkable.

Unfortunately, the camera I had back then was a polaroid. I still have the pic in a drawer somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks for that, another cool story.

Cool photo, hope you can dig it out. IIRC those polaroids have good stable characteristics, so should still have nice accurate colours.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould