News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 26, 2022, 03:10:17 PM
I'm 90% sure that the 18-24 year olds understand this as he/him, she/her etc and the over 65s understand it as Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms etc :lol:

The rest think they're being casual but are rightly held in disdain by young and old alike.

LOL.
Yep. Seems a perfect example of a survey failing by interpretation.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

New Belgian passports add images from Belgian comics:

https://youtu.be/XiexwlLvvyk

:wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2022, 12:53:19 PM

What, nothing from Tintin in the Congo? 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

So apparently an F-35 crashed into the South China Sea, and the US Navy is racing to recover it before the Chinese get their hands on it. Hope they succeed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2022, 12:30:47 AM
So apparently an F-35 crashed into the South China Sea, and the US Navy is racing to recover it before the Chinese get their hands on it. Hope they succeed.

I'm reminded of the discussion way back on Paradox about the Chinese jet running into a US P3, and all the sympathy for China at that time.

Syt

Frasier & Niles play Bloodborne:

https://jodocho.tumblr.com/post/640155673657753600/i-made-a-comic-about-frasier-and-niles

This will be funnier if you're familiar with Frasier and Bloodborne.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

That's a weird intersection  :lol:

I miss the Bloodborne part of the Venn diagram, sadly.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on January 28, 2022, 07:17:58 AM
That's a weird intersection  :lol:

I miss the Bloodborne part of the Venn diagram, sadly.

Yes it's really weird but quite specific to my interests. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

That news about the Indian family dying in the snow in Canada.
It makes no sense.
Why would you want to sneak out of Canada to Canada Beta?
Are Canadian immigration authorities better at their job?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on January 27, 2022, 04:25:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 27, 2022, 12:53:19 PM

What, nothing from Tintin in the Congo? 😄

That's nothing, there is a V-2 inspired reference!  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on January 28, 2022, 01:13:11 PM
That news about the Indian family dying in the snow in Canada.
It makes no sense.
Why would you want to sneak out of Canada to Canada Beta?
Are Canadian immigration authorities better at their job?

Right now I don't think there's an official word as to why this family was trying to enter the United States.  Usually it's easier to immigrate to Canada (especially for refugees.)  The US-Canadian border is the largest international border in the world at almost 9000 Km; it's impossible to patrol the entire thing.  The area where this family was found (bordering Minnesota and North Dakota on the US side) is sparsely populated with few official crossings.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

A smuggler was caught with some other Indians in the us. On of the theories is that this family was part of a larger group that got separated
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Man, this place has gotten quiet, last post was over 3 hours ago.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"