News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

MLB The Show, the official mlb game, develop and published by Sony is now available on Microsoft's Xbox consoles.

I did get a kick out of seeing the Xsquarecircletriangle & PS logo showing up on my Xbox console.

I'm sure Syt would understand.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2021, 04:24:46 AM
After all this time, Seedy is still our most prolific poster.

Said by he who is gunning for the title.  :P

Eddie Teach

I want to drop out of top 10.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Well this sucks.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/chia-cryptocurrency-expected-to-cause-hard-drive-and-ssd-shortages

New crypto currency based on using spare hard drive space.
Chinese miners pushing up HD prices to mine it.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2021, 03:01:42 PM

You guys should break away and form a Super League of top posters.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2021, 04:04:36 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 22, 2021, 03:01:42 PM

You guys should break away and form a Super League of top posters.

Sounds good. I don't want to risk being relegated to the 2nd division of Languish posters.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2021, 09:05:15 AM
MLB The Show, the official mlb game, develop and published by Sony is now available on Microsoft's Xbox consoles.

I did get a kick out of seeing the Xsquarecircletriangle & PS logo showing up on my Xbox console.

I'm sure Syt would understand.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it.  I can't stand Sony's exclusive shenanigans, but I did eventually break down and get a PS4 mostly for the The Show.  Very glad to see the new one show up on Game Pass. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2021, 03:50:59 PM
Well this sucks.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/chia-cryptocurrency-expected-to-cause-hard-drive-and-ssd-shortages

This whole crypto mining thing is such a colossal waste of resources.  I think the governments should crack down on it before Bitcoin itself raises the sea levels by a foot.

The Minsky Moment

Finally a transaction tax we all get can get behind.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Carbon tax would do the trick.

Josquius

Trouble is much of this happens abroad.

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2021, 04:44:07 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 22, 2021, 03:50:59 PM
Well this sucks.

This whole crypto mining thing is such a colossal waste of resources.  I think the governments should crack down on it before Bitcoin itself raises the sea levels by a foot.

Yep.
I am still shocked by that stat I've seen floating around of bitcoin using as much power as the Netherlands.
I wonder whether a crypto could somehow be made that ties in the work with something actually useful. Cracking dna codes and the like rather than random useless sums.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Random fact I somehow never thought about before: mammals are incapable of making green pigment for their skin or fur. The only mammals able to use green are some sloths, but they don't make green pigment - they use symbiotic algae living in their fur to make them look green.

Other animals can be green, but not mammals.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Odd. You would think being green would be an evolutionary advantage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2021, 08:25:28 PM
Random fact I somehow never thought about before: mammals are incapable of making green pigment for their skin or fur. The only mammals able to use green are some sloths, but they don't make green pigment - they use symbiotic algae living in their fur to make them look green.

Other animals can be green, but not mammals.

Personally I channel envy, works for me.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2021, 08:43:25 PM
Odd. You would think being green would be an evolutionary advantage.

It would be - better disguise.

Apparently this is an evolutionary holdover from mammalian origins as mostly night dwelling rodent-like animals.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius