News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2020, 08:57:50 PMI finally forced it to the House of Representatives in a position to win as Stephen Douglas in 1860! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I mean I know Lincoln is not acceptable to you Breckinridge people and I know Breckinridge is not acceptable to you Lincoln people so why not go for me, the Little Giant, Stephen Douglas? Too bad that Bell guy came in 4th and so cannot be here with us today.

Sure this was a catastrophic result for America but I worked damn hard to get it. President Stephen Douglas is sure to lead us into disastrous times!

BEST. GAME. EVER.
I can not get, no matter what I do, deliver a Bryan victory in 1896 :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2020, 08:57:50 PMI finally forced it to the House of Representatives in a position to win as Stephen Douglas in 1860! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

I mean I know Lincoln is not acceptable to you Breckinridge people and I know Breckinridge is not acceptable to you Lincoln people so why not go for me, the Little Giant, Stephen Douglas? Too bad that Bell guy came in 4th and so cannot be here with us today.

Sure this was a catastrophic result for America but I worked damn hard to get it. President Stephen Douglas is sure to lead us into disastrous times!

BEST. GAME. EVER.
I can not get, no matter what I do, deliver a Bryan victory in 1896 :(

I was bothered about not being able to duplicate Bush's 2000 victory on normal; until I looked at the figures and found out that a player Bush loses to Gore 71% of the time - and a player Gore loses to Bush 68% of the time.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

You are going to have a tough time doing better than your historical counterpart. That is what makes it fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

German Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy in interview with BILD "newspaper":

"Shopping is a patriotic duty"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2020, 03:56:06 PM
You are going to have a tough time doing better than your historical counterpart. That is what makes it fun.

I played it on easy, led Humphrey to a resounding victory over the crook.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2020, 04:30:37 PM
I found this kind of interesting - the day after St Edmund's Day - a medieval depiction of Danes killing St Edmund:

The reason the Danes are wearing turbans and don't looke at all Viking is that, apparently, "saracen" was used for all non-Christians both as a word and a visual depiction, which I didn't know. There are also multiple texts that refer to the Lithuanians as "saracens" :lol:

Those were typical 15th century hats across Europe. My best guess is that the painting was painted in that time period.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 22, 2020, 08:26:43 PM
Need quick advice.

How much do I tip an Uber Eats guy?  Bill including $5 delivery fee is $42.

I tip 15% - 20%.

The driver's get paid ~$11/hour and do not receive any of the delivery fees and no gas money.

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2020, 02:20:06 PM
Those were typical 15th century hats across Europe. My best guess is that the painting was painted in that time period.
You are right :w00t:
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.aspx?ref=harley_ms_2278_f061r

I guessed about the hats - but they are apparently depicted as Saracens, it's apparently one of the images discussed in this article:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/175330709X449116
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2020, 02:40:43 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2020, 02:20:06 PM
You are right :w00t:
http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.aspx?ref=harley_ms_2278_f061r

Of course I'm right. I dress up as a Medieval European Lady for fun. ;)

QuoteI guessed about the hats - but they are apparently depicted as Saracens, it's apparently one of the images discussed in this article:
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1179/175330709X449116

I think that's why they're all in white.

The Larch

Yeah, that's what medieval painters did, they'd just put every character in contemporary clothing no matter which was their origin or their time in history. I saw some medieval frescoes in Italy in which the roman soldiers that crucified Jesus wore medieval armour.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2020, 02:42:10 PM

Pfft - the Napoleonic / Regency era is a much better time period to play dress up in. :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2020, 02:58:11 PM
Quote from: merithyn on November 28, 2020, 02:42:10 PM

Pfft - the Napoleonic / Regency era is a much better time period to play dress up in. :P

I know what hats they wore then, too. ;)