News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on October 30, 2020, 09:56:44 AM
Well thats new. Apparently there's a new fast food place opening in town. 'Jollibee', a Filipino fried chicken chain.
So.
Thats a thing.
Anyone encountered it?

When one opened up here they had to put a tent out in the parking lot to accommodate all the people waiting in line.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2020, 10:36:33 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2020, 10:29:45 AM
Interesting - I used to live in a fairly Filipino area in London with a number of Filipino restaurants but didn't see any fried chicken.

There's a tonne of Korean fried chicken places though. But I think that's a food trend rather than for the community.

Well my understanding (again I've never been) is that it's not exactly Filipino food, but rather quasi-American fast food as seen through Filipino eyes.

Like their spaghetti - Filipino's didn't have easy access to tomatoes, so their sauce is something called banana ketchup, made with bananas, vinegar and red food die.  It's apparently quite sweet and sounds disgusting, but it's a big hit amongst Filipinos.

don't forget the cut up hotdog. its not officially Filipino spaghetti without hotdogs.

Jollibee's pineapple drink is good though
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

So Vittles on substack has been an amazing thing over the lockdowns. But I particularly love this piece on the hyper-regional chippy traditions of Britain and Ireland :lol:
https://vittles.substack.com/p/the-hyper-regional-chippy-traditions

Including:
Newcastle's bolognese chips
Belfast's pattie supper
Salt and pepper everything from Liverpool (the home of the Chinese chippy :wub:)
Pie barm in Wigan (I remember the horror on faces of my flatmates from the South when I made a pie sandwich at uni :blush:)
Faggot and pea batch in Coventry
Cumbrian patties
Deep fried Mars bars
Glasgow's Justin Bieber haggis supper
Imli chips from Rochdale
The Dublin spice bag
Orange chips in the Black Country
And more :wub: :mmm:
The Hyper-Regional Chippy Traditions of Britain and Ireland
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Saw that before. It seems a nonsense to me. Bologna use chips isn't a thing up here.
More normal is cheesy chips. Which if you have any special sauce beyond ketchup its gravy.
Best theory I've read is some londoner went to one tkar away with some odd items and assumed it was a typical thing.

And no parmo mention?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Well cheesy chips with gravy is not going to get you on the list :P

But yeah I thought the Parmo was an unusual absence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I feel this is going to be my highlight of the week:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 02, 2020, 07:12:03 AM
Well cheesy chips with gravy is not going to get you on the list :P

But yeah I thought the Parmo was an unusual absence.

I thought cheesy chips was a local thing?
A friend went down to London for the league Cup final a few years back and was met with utter confusion at a request for cheesy chips at a Wembley take away. Was eventually presented with chips with a slice of cheese on top.

Thinking of other local things...i don't think you get dabs elsewhere?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2020, 07:20:29 AM
I thought cheesy chips was a local thing?
A friend went down to London for the league Cup final a few years back and was met with utter confusion at a request for cheesy chips at a Wembley take away. Was eventually presented with chips with a slice of cheese on top.
Cheesy chips is not a local thing - you get it all over Scotland, in Bristol, in Liverpool and more or less everywhere I've lived except London :( <_<

London doesn't really have a local take on the chippy, except possibly being ultra-conservative/old-fashioned seaside style fish and chips.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

London has the eel and mash and mystery goop thing instead I guess.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

A Rotterdam metro train overran a barrier and ended up balancing on a whale tail statue.

The Brain

That's the best whale tail I've seen in a while.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Looks like a theme park display

Or a scene from a post apocalyptic natural disaster ravaged world
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

*Click*
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54782634
QuoteRussian oligarch nicknamed the 'Sausage King' killed in sauna with crossbow
Let's bomb Russia!