News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Does ammo go bad? Maybe White supremacist 2008 ammo stockpile rotted & needed to be replace?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

Nah, there's no plan. It's just fear addicts responding to the rising tension.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2020, 01:24:23 PM
Curious-- what are youse guys's theories on why ammo sales are up, and what people plan on doing with said ammo.

Probably all the shootings going on. Each teams' militias is stocking up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2020, 12:06:56 PM
Also I'm so low on 9mm I have to be careful not to burn too much of it.  I'm seeing it in places, but at $.50 per round :yuk:

Do you hunt with a 9mm or just spending lots of time on the range? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2020, 12:04:44 PM
Cringy term, but not meant to be totally serious.  I started hearing it last year, but it's probably been around for a while longer.

Did you hear it in the original Russian, or was it already awkwardly translated when you first heard it?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

The stuff about militias and nuts prepping for the election et al are valid theories.

I suppose if we must have a more innocent explanation, with corona and lockdowns and everything going out hunting seems like it'd be one of the few unaffected leisure activities?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2020, 01:48:50 PM

Just the range.  My club has a cool steel target range-- ping, ping, ping...

Most of the ammo shortage is range ammo (self defense and hunting ammo is still pretty easy to find).  People are hoarding and ammo factories had already been full capacity-- very similar to the toilet paper shortage we had.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on September 23, 2020, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2020, 12:04:44 PM
Cringy term, but not meant to be totally serious.  I started hearing it last year, but it's probably been around for a while longer.

Did you hear it in the original Russian, or was it already awkwardly translated when you first heard it?

я не помню.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Curious-- what are youse guys's theories on why ammo sales are up, and what people plan on doing with said ammo.

People are scared of all the tensions and shit going down, and react by hoarding ammo. So no actual plan.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

So my oven and washing machine are on the fritz, and I'm having a helluva time getting them serviced.  Everyone I've talked to says they'll only do it if I bought the appliance at their store.  Anyone else ever experienced anything like this?  Never knew appliance repair would be such a hassle.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2020, 05:44:18 PM
So my oven and washing machine are on the fritz, and I'm having a helluva time getting them serviced.  Everyone I've talked to says they'll only do it if I bought the appliance at their store.  Anyone else ever experienced anything like this?  Never knew appliance repair would be such a hassle.

It's a big problem. Manufacturers allegedly make it difficult to get parts and repair appliances, hoping consumers will buy new ones if the old ones break.

This has lead to a bunch of "right to repair" laws in some countries.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5475649
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

If Trump wins: throwing a huge gun party in all of America's rural counties were everyone shoots in the air to celebrate.

If Trump loses: throwing a huge gun party in all of America's cities were everyone shoots in the air to demonstrate that no one will take their guns.   And maybe shoot a black guy here and there while no one is looking.

;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2020, 05:44:18 PM
you need to find an independant repairer, and they are extremely hard to find :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Depends where you live Viper. Parts are still hard. I had to repair my 10 year old washer last year. Went very smoothly since I have a electronic less model.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2020, 01:58:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 23, 2020, 01:48:50 PM

Just the range.  My club has a cool steel target range-- ping, ping, ping...

Most of the ammo shortage is range ammo (self defense and hunting ammo is still pretty easy to find).  People are hoarding and ammo factories had already been full capacity-- very similar to the toilet paper shortage we had.

Huh. I had no idea one used different ammo at the range versus self defense or hunting.