News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

On the internet I found a translation of the autobiography of priest who founded some churches in my corner of Missouri back in the 19th century.  The original text was in Latin but was translated by my old Latin teacher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2020, 03:23:47 PM
...wow. You really aren't capable of having a normal conversation are you.

:lol:  It's clear that one of us isn't capable of a "normal" conversation, and that it is the guy who thinks "Shitstink" is an equivalent name to "Gary."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on September 22, 2020, 04:41:30 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2020, 03:23:47 PM
...wow. You really aren't capable of having a normal conversation are you.

I'm sure he's fun at parties, though.

Not as much fun as that George Shitstink guy who has the town named after him.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

With a name like that, you kinda need a good sense of humor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The Spanish far right party (Vox) has put forward a motion of no confidence against the Spanish government. It will fail, but they have selected an interesting candidate: Ignacio Garriga, a black MP, making him the first black MP to stand for the Spanish presidency. Given that
immigration has been their main ideological horse besides anti-Catalan separatism (and Garriga is Catalan too), I guess they want a fig leaf to hide behind next time one of their officials goes on a racist twitter tirade.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2020, 04:37:39 AM
The Spanish far right party (Vox) has put forward a motion of no confidence against the Spanish government. It will fail, but they have selected am interesting candidate: Ignacio Garriga, a black MP, making him the first black MP to stand for the Spanish presidency. Given that
immigration has been their main ideological horse besides anti-Catalan separatism (and Garriga is Catalan too), I guess they want a fig leaf to hide next time some of their officials goes on a racist twitter tirade.

He has always been used for that purpose.

Josquius

There's a sikh guy whose name escapes me right now  heavily involved with the far right in the UK. You see him absolutely everywhere to show "look we aren't racist!!!"... Then he opens his mouth and he really does not like Muslims.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2020, 10:37:25 AM

"freedom seeds"  :rolleyes:

Google translations from the Russian originals often end up with goofy-sounding phrases like that.

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Cringy term, but not meant to be totally serious.  I started hearing it last year, but it's probably been around for a while longer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Also I'm so low on 9mm I have to be careful not to burn too much of it.  I'm seeing it in places, but at $.50 per round :yuk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Interesting piece on the history of the NRA - I did not know the British link at the beginning which is really interesting:
https://lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v42/n18/deborah-friedell/in-america-s-blood
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on September 23, 2020, 10:37:25 AM

"freedom seeds"  :rolleyes:

Theyre not even trying to pretend to be the good guys anymore are they
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The tree of liberty, yadda yadda yadda...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Curious-- what are youse guys's theories on why ammo sales are up, and what people plan on doing with said ammo.