Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on September 22, 2020, 10:59:23 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 22, 2020, 09:50:38 AM
Where in the world is Gary Indiana?

Northern edge of Indiana, about 60 miles east of Chicago.

It's a "go through" city on your way to anywhere else. :P

Yeah, what I wanted to look up is that I was pretty sure I drove through Gary on my way from Chicago to Michigan many years ago.  And yup - that's where the interstate goes through.

We didn't stop.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

https://newsthump.com/2020/09/22/martian-tripods-successfully-conquer-earth-after-adopting-social-distancing-precautions/

QuoteMartian tripods successfully conquer Earth after adopting social distancing precautions

An invasion of planet Earth by hostile Martian invasion forces has been entirely successful, due to the Martians taking all the necessary sanitary precautions this time.

"We've really learned our lesson," admitted Martian invasion captain Zy-Mon Williams.

"Despite having intellects vast, cool and unsympathetic, the last time we invaded Earth we failed to observe basic hygiene precautions and as a result, we got wiped out by a virus."

Williams described how the Martians had avoided what he described as a "second wave" by frequent hand washing, keeping at least two metres apart from one another in their Tripods, observing the Rule of Six, and wearing face masks.

"You foolish Earthlings even showed us how to make them," he cackled, displaying his own home made mask in an attractive Cath Kidston floral sprigged design.

Health Minister Matt Hancock confirmed last night that the Government did not intend to take any retaliatory action against the Martian invaders, as they had at all times adhered to the guidelines on social distancing.

Earthlings received the news with mixed emotions.

"I for one welcome our new alien overlords," said David Icke.

"After all, they can't be any worse than the current shower we've got in Government."

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2020, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2020, 09:27:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2020, 07:40:52 AM
Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name
Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame

It's a shame about the town, though. :(

I just wanted to check something about Gary, Indiana, so I googled it.  First hit is the Wiki page.

Then comes the "People Also Ask".  The first question is "What's so bad about Gary Indiana". :lol: :(

It is a former steel manufacturing center, you can kind figure out it's trajectory based on that fact alone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2020, 11:39:26 AM
Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name

I just wanted to check something about Gary, Indiana, so I googled it.  First hit is the Wiki page.

Then comes the "People Also Ask".  The first question is "What's so bad about Gary Indiana". :lol: :(

It is a former steel manufacturing center, you can kind figure out it's trajectory based on that fact alone.

Yeah, but other steel manufacturing centres have done okay for themselves.  Pittsburgh (the Steel City) for example has turned things around.

Valmy

Eventually. All these cities declined, some have worked their way out of it and others haven't (yet...hopefully).
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2020, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 11:54:59 AM
My wife's percentages got updated.  She's now like 18% French and a little pissed off about it :lol:

Tell her congratulations :frog:

I did.  She'll embrace it eventually.

I have a tiny but pretty cool sliver of French Huguenot myself in my family tree.  Used to show up in my DNA thingie but I guess that's now just part of "England and Northwestern Europe".

Pretty accurate, as Huguenot were never French to begin with :frog:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2020, 02:12:52 PM
Pretty accurate, as Huguenot were never French to begin with :frog:

Well, that's a load off my shoulders :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2020, 11:39:26 AM
Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name

I never ventured into Gary, IN but had some business a while back in nearby Hammond, IN.  The industrial decay was rather depressing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2020, 09:40:09 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 22, 2020, 07:17:53 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2020, 05:04:05 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 20, 2020, 04:37:28 PM
What's wrong with the name Gary?
Nothing on a human.
Silly on a town.
Cute on a cat.

What if the town is named after a human, like "Gary, Indiana?"
If I name a town Shitstink after my good friend George Shitstink it matters not, its still a town called Shitstink.

So, to go back to your earlier response to the query, you would respond to "what's wrong with the name Shitstink?" that "Nothing on a human, silly on a town, cute on a cat?" 

You really think that "Shitstink" would be a cute name for a cat? 

Or are you now seeing how dumb it is to argue that the names "Gary" and "Shitstink" are equivalent?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

...wow. You really aren't capable of having a normal conversation are you.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

There's a town in Ontario with a street called "Swastika Trail".  The town's response is we named this street back in the 20s way before Hitler, so why should we have to change it?

But the fact is, Hitler is still the first thing you think of when you hear the word "swastika".

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2020, 03:32:52 PM
There's a town in Ontario with a street called "Swastika Trail".  The town's response is we named this street back in the 20s way before Hitler, so why should we have to change it?

But the fact is, Hitler is still the first thing you think of when you hear the word "swastika".
There's an entire town named "Swastika".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika,_Ontario

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 22, 2020, 03:23:47 PM
...wow. You really aren't capable of having a normal conversation are you.

I'm sure he's fun at parties, though.