And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2020, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 11:54:59 AM
My wife's percentages got updated.  She's now like 18% French and a little pissed off about it :lol:

Tell her congratulations :frog:

I did.  She'll embrace it eventually.

I have a tiny but pretty cool sliver of French Huguenot myself in my family tree.  Used to show up in my DNA thingie but I guess that's now just part of "England and Northwestern Europe".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

I'm more disappointed in you because you married a french person.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

If she was 18% Irish, she'd be the ex Mrs Spice.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I've known of her Irish ancestry for a while.  I made my peace with it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2020, 12:01:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2020, 11:55:52 AM
So Ancestry just shows how much you are related to other Ancestry customers? So basically a scam?

No. But it does show that as well.

What other DNA database(s) does it use?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 16, 2020, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 11:54:59 AM
My wife's percentages got updated.  She's now like 18% French and a little pissed off about it :lol:

Tell her congratulations :frog:

I did.  She'll embrace it eventually.

I have a tiny but pretty cool sliver of French Huguenot myself in my family tree.  Used to show up in my DNA thingie but I guess that's now just part of "England and Northwestern Europe".

So more than 3% Welsch(er).    :frog::lol:

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2020, 01:14:00 PM
So Ancestry just shows how much you are related to other Ancestry customers? So basically a scam?

I am not sure but they also do things like medical information so it is not like they are just comparing DNA to other people to find your 5th cousins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2020, 01:14:00 PM

They say they use a reference panel of people whose families have lived in a certain area for generations.

https://www.ancestry.com/lp/ethnicity-estimate/reading-your-ethnicity-estimate
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

:hmm:

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1519454/mars-missions-may-female-avoid-astronauts-sex-1-5-year-journey

(The article states that a same sex crew would be preferable to avoid accidental pregnancies - unsure if the headline editor thinks that sex and pregnancy are the same or that women can't have sex with each other)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2020, 07:38:54 AM
unsure if the headline editor thinks that sex and pregnancy are the same or that women can't have sex with each other

well, as the link has a pk extension probably the latter.

The Brain

Can't you just have an all-fugly crew instead?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

I am sure for a mission like that a male astronaut would agree to get a vasectomy. Seems a little weird to just exclude one gender for that reason. But the story just says 'may' so it is probably just clickbait nonsense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2020, 08:09:56 AM
Can't you just have an all-fugly crew instead?

Hey, it works for me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

It sounds like a good starting premise for an "impure" movie to me; but I'm probably a bad person  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 17, 2020, 09:03:40 AM
It sounds like a good starting premise for an "impure" movie to me; but I'm probably a bad person  :hmm:

Four fit attractive females isolated together for a long period of time.  What could you possibly be thinking - I mean the headline writer, not you, you. :D