The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 04:44:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2020, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 04:18:19 AM
Barbados looking to get rid of the Queen and become a Republic :w00t: :showoff:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/barbados-revives-plan-to-remove-queen-as-head-of-state-and-become-a-republic

I have made an oath to be disapproving of this.  :mad:
:lol:

They'd still be in the Commonwealth. What is the UK oath of allegiance out of interest?

I don't remember.  :Embarrass:

But basically there are two parts: one oath to the royal, and a separate to the country. I rather liked the latter, and went along with the former, so I am now a conscripted royalist. :P

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on September 16, 2020, 06:32:00 AM
Still in the commonwealth? Boo. No queen no commonwealth!

Sadly that ship sailed a long time ago.  Mozambique is a member of the Commonwealth, which not only doesn't have the Queen as Head of State, but in fact was never connected to the British Empire in any way, shape or form (it was a former Portuguese colony).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2020, 10:05:07 AM

Sadly that ship sailed a long time ago.  Mozambique is a member of the Commonwealth, which not only doesn't have the Queen as Head of State, but in fact was never connected to the British Empire in any way, shape or form (it was a former Portuguese colony).
Yeah I think Rwanda's the latest member and they're a former Belgian colony.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 10:10:03 AM

As I look it up they opened up membership in 1995, but in 2005 they said membership should be based on a historic tie to another Commonwealth country, except in exceptional circumstances.  Rwanda (which had applied pre-2005) was subsequently let in as an exceptional circumstance.

Zanza

Maybe Germany should join the Commonwealth as undoubtly Hanover has a connection to the British Empire.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on September 16, 2020, 10:21:30 AM
Maybe Germany should join the Commonwealth as undoubtly Hanover has a connection to the British Empire.  :P
:lol:

I think one of the other entry requirements is unlikely to threaten Australian dominance of the Commonwealth Games :P
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'd say the same of Magaluf.  :P

Valmy

Maybe just Lower Saxony can join.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 10:10:03 AM

Mozambique certainly got in due to "exceptional circumstances", given it's neighbourhood, but if you squint a little sideways Rwanda qualifies under -

an applicant country should, as a general rule, have had a historic constitutional association with an existing Commonwealth member, save in exceptional circumstances

Most people seem to forget this now but Rwanda and Burundi (Rwanda-Urundi as was) were part of German East Africa pre-Versailles. The other 95% or so of this former colony comprises most of modern day Tanzania.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2020, 05:12:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 15, 2020, 03:38:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2020, 02:18:16 PM
So my Ancestry DNA results have updated.  For those of you keeping score at home, I am now 3% Welsh and 3% Norwegian.  I'm still 1% Finnish.
How can your DNA results change? :unsure: Did you handle some uranium or something?

They base ancestry percentages based on the incidences of DNA pieces in countries. This is always being updated.

It's not the most exact stuff. I am probably giving them too little credit but it really seems to me that if a few thousand white people in Ghana signed up for DNA testing a bunch of people elsewhere in the world who are distant white cousins of them would start getting Ghana showing up in their ancestry profile.

Also, Ancestry DNA is always changing how they define regions.  In this most recent update, they split out Wales, Ireland, and Scotland (were combined before).  But they also folded my German ancestry back into "England and Northwestern Europe"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

My wife's percentages got updated.  She's now like 18% French and a little pissed off about it :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

So Ancestry just shows how much you are related to other Ancestry customers? So basically a scam?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2020, 11:54:59 AM
My wife's percentages got updated.  She's now like 18% French and a little pissed off about it :lol:

Tell her congratulations :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2020, 11:55:52 AM
So Ancestry just shows how much you are related to other Ancestry customers? So basically a scam?

No. But it does show that as well.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2020, 11:55:52 AM

No I don't believe so.  The science is still a bit dubious but not that dubious.