News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Didn't the Finns make fun of Trump for similar forest related comments some years ago?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

So Navalny's recovering and made a video where he made a joke about breathing unaided. He's also vowed to return to Russia and carry on his work which is pretty extraordinary and very courageous.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

It would incredible if they tried to murder him a third time.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2020, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 04:18:19 AM
Barbados looking to get rid of the Queen and become a Republic :w00t: :showoff:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/barbados-revives-plan-to-remove-queen-as-head-of-state-and-become-a-republic

I have made an oath to be disapproving of this.  :mad:
:lol:

They'd still be in the Commonwealth. What is the UK oath of allegiance out of interest?

Edit: I'm glad BBoy has an ally on the forum at last.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Still in the commonwealth? Boo. No queen no commonwealth!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Agelastus

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/16/barbados-revives-plan-to-remove-queen-as-head-of-state-and-become-a-republic

Very disappointing.

Even more disappointing is the state of UK Newspapers; the Guardian article is repeated word for word (minus the last line) on the Telegraph website and I can see by the publishing times which came first. :( So what if it's on the free access part of the website...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2020, 06:50:07 AM

Very disappointing.

Even more disappointing is the state of UK Newspapers; the Guardian article is repeated word for word (minus the last line) on the Telegraph website and I can see by the publishing times which came first. :( So what if it's on the free access part of the website...
The "author" of the Guardian piece is the PA so it's just a wire report.

QuoteStill in the commonwealth? Boo. No queen no commonwealth!
You'd need to take that up with India, Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa etc :lol:

Edit: Incidentally I have spoken with Irish people about basically what they would be willing for Ireland to do, if there was unification, to make unionists feel it's their country as well and re-joining the Commonwealth is something that people generally seem okay with which would be fairly weird but a useful start.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 16, 2020, 06:59:07 AM
The "author" of the Guardian piece is the PA so it's just a wire report.

Still disappointing - calling the PA "Telegraph Reporters" feels deliberately misleading.

I wouldn't have commented if it had said PA on both articles.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Agelastus on September 16, 2020, 07:02:04 AM
Still disappointing - calling the PA "Telegraph Reporters" feels deliberately misleading.
Agreed - that's just inappropriate.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on September 15, 2020, 12:49:53 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2020, 11:03:44 PM
I got my little kitty, Sally, a little over two months ago.  She has grown quickly since then and is now about to flood New Orleans.  She's such a good cat.

:lol:

Sally the cat is getting really tired of me singing "Rock you like a Hurricane".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017