News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 04, 2020, 04:03:09 PM
From people citing sources on Twitter: the ammonium nitrate (2,700 tons) had been confiscated and held by the Lebanese govt for 7 years, and the fire and explosion occurred when someone "welded a small hole to prevent theft".
I've heard so many different timeframes for that ammonium nitrate from different figures in the Lebanese government from 1 year to 12 years. It feels like, probably, only a few dock workers and customs officers actually knew how long it had been there.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Never mind, POTUS says it was a bomb.  :mellow:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Under normal Presidents you would trust that. But Daniel Dale in the pool tweeted this which doesn't sound super confident:
QuoteAsked if he's confident this was an attack and not an accident, Trump says, "It would seem like it, based on the explosion." He says he met with some "great generals" and they "seem to feel" that it was an attack. He then adds it was a "bomb of some kind." ?

As he notes Trump makes up stories about conversations he has with generals quite often (just like the various men - steel workers, bikers, anyone "tough" - who come up to him in tears to thank him).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

"Great generals" kind of gives it away. Which great general wouldn't resign in disgust rather than serve under Trump?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Yeah, it sounds like Trump is just speculating (I.e., making shit up or repeating made up shut he saw on Fox): "It looks like a terrible attack" and "it was a bomb of some kind".

Next we'll get "some people are saying it was a bomb".
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 04, 2020, 06:06:21 PM
Yeah, it sounds like Trump is just speculating (I.e., making shit up or repeating made up shut he saw on Fox): "It looks like a terrible attack" and "it was a bomb of some kind".

Next we'll get "some people are saying it was a bomb".
I mean he may have had a briefing.

But it does feel like this will end up with him rejecting suggestions it's not a bomb and we'll have the US government's official position being it's a bomb to avoid contradicting the President while everyone know it wasn't :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

What? The fucking president has to interject himself into an explosion in Beirut?

What a damn clown. This has nothing to do with us, shut up!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

So that's what a small nuclear weapon attack on a major city will look like in the age of the smartphone.

This disaster needs a separate thread? Mods??

Edit:

I should add the English language Al Jazeera channel seems to have pretty comprehensive coverage of this, with correspondents at the scene and informed people formerly in the Lebanese govt/administration.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on August 04, 2020, 06:42:45 PM
This disaster needs a separate thread? Mods??

Yeah when there were the first videos I posted here, but as more came in this is clearly far bigger than I thought :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 06:39:50 PM
What? The fucking president has to interject himself into an explosion in Beirut?

What a damn clown. This has nothing to do with us, shut up!
It is just extraordinary that under other Presidents, if the President stands at a podium and says something like "we believe this was an attack/bomb". You think there's chances are at least some truth to it. Whereas this is the headline and sub about Trump:
QuoteTrump proposes attack theory to explain Beirut blast

The president seemed to contradict Lebanese officials' explanations that it was caused by confiscated explosives.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

2700 tons sounds like way too much. That's like a small tactical nuke. I'd be surprised if those highrises could withstand an explosion like that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 04, 2020, 08:27:30 PM
2700 tons sounds like way too much. That's like a small tactical nuke. I'd be surprised if those highrises could withstand an explosion like that.

2700 tons doesn't sound obviously unreasonable to me when I look at the explosion and its effects. Remember also that the TNT equivalent is lower if it's ammonium nitrate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu