News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2020, 03:06:01 PM
So apparently I am a descendent of Harald Bluetooth.. 31x great grandfather. It's something I guess.
How'd you find that out?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Liep

Quote from: Caliga on July 13, 2020, 04:07:27 PM
So apparently I am a descendent of Harald Bluetooth.. 31x great grandfather. It's something I guess.
How'd you find that out?

My uncle is researching our family tree and he discovered it. I don't know if there's anyway to confirm it or how it works in general, but I like it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2020, 04:54:18 PM
How'd you find that out?

My uncle is researching our family tree and he discovered it. I don't know if there's anyway to confirm it or how it works in general, but I like it.

You'd have 17+ billion ancestors from that generation if they were all unique.  Maybe being his descendant isn't all that unusual.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Grant Imahara is dead.  :blink:  :(

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on July 13, 2020, 11:30:58 PM
Grant Imahara is dead.  :blink:  :(

Wha ...? He wasn't that old. :(

EDIT: Brain aneurysm at age 49. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HisMajestyBOB

How'd you find that out?

Liep walked near his grave and got an invitation to pair with him.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on July 13, 2020, 09:18:59 PM
How'd you find that out?

You'd have 17+ billion ancestors from that generation if they were all unique.  Maybe being his descendant isn't all that unusual.

True.
Pretty much if someone from 1000 years ago in the  vague geographic area your family came from had descendents, then you're probably one of them.
https://www.nature.com/news/most-europeans-share-recent-ancestors-1.12950

I do recall 23 and me does a thing with the male line of saying a famous figure which also shared this chromosome, in my case Niall of the Nine Hostages - not to say I'm descendent from him on the male line (though certainly on my dad's mother's line), rather practically all people of celtic descent have this same line with Niall being some distant cousin a bazillion times removed on the direct male line.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I know. And we even divert from the cool line right after. I descend from Thyra and not Svend.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 13, 2020, 11:46:53 PM
How'd you find that out?

Liep walked near his grave and got an invitation to pair with him.

:D :thumbsup:

Josquius

I learned a cool Chinese term today

https://greatist.com/discover/revenge-bedtime-procrastination

報復性熬夜  - Revenge bed time procastrination.
A lack of freedom in daylight hours is a key factor in people not being able to sleep at night as they without sub conscious control rebel against the lack of freedom
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Yeah, I always had to stay up for a couple hours when I got home from work no matter how tired I was.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

How'd you find that out?

It's not that much in practice though is it? Most of those people would not be unique after so many generations.

I would start putting feelers out for supporters in a bid to claim the throne  :cool:

Josquius

I look forward to a few decades down the line when human genetic sequencing reaches a stage that 23 and me can tell you amongst other factoids what number in line for various thrones you are.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 14, 2020, 08:33:58 AM
I look forward to a few decades down the line when human genetic sequencing reaches a stage that 23 and me can tell you amongst other factoids what number in line for various thrones you are.
Finally confirming whether my dad was (inevitably) bullshitting when he said we're descended from the High Kings of Ireland :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

We have 249 guests online at the forum. WTH?