News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 03:08:06 AM
French and especially Spanish helps a lot, initially at least. But I don't think you can bluff your way through a B1 exam.
How much time do you have?
A long while. 2 years at least. Still very much in the thinking about it stages.

QuoteWhy do you need to learn Italian? Trying to run away from the UK and get into Switzerland with the missus?  :P
Pretty much :p
Or at least to have that option readily available if/when the time comes to move elsewhere.

Are you fluent in any romance language? Giving your opinions about French I rather doubt it.

QuoteYeah. I think given your views on French v German you might not enjoy learning Italian.

Flipside is, unlike, French it's far better at doing what it says - the link between pronunication/written is a little bit more direct.
This is the main problem with French. The pronunciation is impossible. I think without that problem my French may actually be pretty good.  I can certainly read it well enough.
Considering listening is my weakness even in easier languages like Swedish or Japanese any improvements on this front are very welcome.

QuoteI don't think the grammar is really the issue with French - we don't learn English grammar (or at least the generation of schoolkids that me and Tyr were in didn't) so we have to learn from the beginning anyway. I've no idea what the English past participle is or if it or verb tenses agree. That makes it more difficult to learn first time because you have to get your head round the concept but in a way it's also easier - you just have to learn it.
Yep. My first exposure to all these grammatical words was sitting in Swedish class aged 21. I had to learn that English calls the batamd form the definite form rather than the reverse.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

2 years to learn a language to B1 level should be doable.

Sheilbh

Yeah. Plus an excuse to insist on only Italian holidays for the next two years, which is not the worst thing in the world.

Also All 4 has some good Italian shows at the minute.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote2 years to learn a language to B1 level should be doable.
Doable with intense effort or doable as a casual thing?

Also on Italian...its one of those that starts easy then has a big gap to get to intermediate or it starts hard then gets easier or...?
Japanese for example has a fairly U shaped difficulty, whilst French is fairly corona-esque.

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 06:27:08 AM
Yeah. Plus an excuse to insist on only Italian holidays for the next two years, which is not the worst thing in the world.
:wub:
I do hope corona buggers off soon, we were talking about going to stay with her cousins in the south in blackberry week.

Any stand outs?
I noticed they've a French season (or had last week) but the shows there didn't bring up any enthusiasm.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on July 13, 2020, 06:28:54 AM

Get a teacher, take weekly lessons (+homework). That should do it in a year or two.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 05:52:34 AM

The disconnect between pronunciation and spelling on the other hand is more annoying :bleeding:

As if English is MUCH better in that regard.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 13, 2020, 06:36:45 AM
:lol: Absolutely. English is horrendous for this. Soz.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Also on Italian...its one of those that starts easy then has a big gap to get to intermediate or it starts hard then gets easier or...?
Japanese for example has a fairly U shaped difficulty, whilst French is fairly corona-esque.
My impression is Italian is a bit like Spanish which is a gentle slope upwards :)

Any stand outs?
I noticed they've a French season (or had last week) but the shows there didn't bring up any enthusiasm.
I've been enjoying Maltese a lot - it's cop/mafia drama set in 70s Sicily. In the Walter Presents section.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Maybe you can take it easier during the first months/year, see if you're progressing, and do a more intensive thing on the months before the exam.

QuoteAlso on Italian...its one of those that starts easy then has a big gap to get to intermediate or it starts hard then gets easier or...?

In my experience it was easy to get the basic grasp but fairly tricky to get into advanced stuff, but as I mentioned, having other romance languages as mother tongues made getting the basics very easy.

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 06:27:08 AM

Now that's the proper way of thinking!  :lol:

When I did my B2 exam I spent 2 weeks in Sicily ahead of it.  :P

Any stand outs?

The thing with Italian movies and tv shows is that sometimes they use a very coloquial/dialectal variety of the language, so you have to tread carefully. For instance nowadays Italian crime tv shows and films seem to be quite fashionable (Suburra, Gomorra, Romanzo Criminale), but because the characters are mostly low lifers they don't exactly use the Italian variety of BBC English, employing quite a lot of Neapolitan dialect in the case of Gomorra and Roman in the case of the other two.

Grey Fox

I've been learning Spanish since the start of April. It is much easier than Japanese.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 06:37:31 AM

In English however you can completely butcher the pronunciation of a word and still be understood. French....less so :p
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on July 13, 2020, 07:46:58 AM

In English however you can completely butcher the pronunciation of a word and still be understood. French....less so :p

Still it would be far easier for both languages if there was more than a passing resemblance between what's written and spoken. :P

If you take German or Hungarian for example, you learn the ABC and you can pronounce correctly almost everything written, even if you don't understand it.

But, I guess that ship sailed a couple of centuries ago.

Duque de Bragança

Not only English is horrendous for this, but it's actually even worse than French in that matter. Some of the "English" spelling dates back from the Norman invasion. Spelling has been reformed ever since in France, last time in 1990.

Tamas

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 13, 2020, 09:36:27 AM

Not only English is horrendous for this, but it's actually even worse than French in that matter. Some of the "English" spelling dates back from the Norman invasion. Spelling has been reformed ever since in France, last time in 1990.

Yeah if you are like most students of English. exposed to American English, then come in contact with the British one, spelling differences in the latter seem like some French guy was trying to write in English.

Liep

So apparently I am a descendent of Harald Bluetooth.. 31x great grandfather. It's something I guess.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk