News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 11:46:20 AM
Did other cuisines leap forth fully formed from Zeus' head or something?

There is a lot of room between those two options.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2020, 11:51:53 AM

A lot of our perception of national cuisine is just what things looked like when people started writing cook books. Pasta sauces that include tomatoes are considered a staple of italian food, but of course tomatoes are a new world fruit.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 12:01:41 PM
A lot of our perception of national cuisine is just what things looked like when people started writing cook books. Pasta sauces that include tomatoes are considered a staple of italian food, but of course tomatoes are a new world fruit.

And a lot developed organically.  So my statement stands.

And even on the issue of tomato sauces, the Italians didn't import a recipe from the Incas and touch it up a little.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2020, 12:08:58 PM

And a lot developed organically.  So my statement stands.

And even on the issue of tomato sauces, the Italians didn't import a recipe from the Incas and touch it up a little.

I should think not, since tomatoes came from central america / modern Mexico.

The Incas gave the world potatoes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

As are chillis and potatoes.
Hard to imagine Indian food without them.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Either they organically evolved from someplace or they developed out of nothing.

I fail to see where the room is between those two.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 12:41:25 PM
Either they organically evolved from someplace or they developed out of nothing.

Developed out of nothing or are 100% imported.  Most cuisines are a combination of the two.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2020, 12:49:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 12:41:25 PM

Developed out of nothing or are 100% imported.  Most cuisines are a combination of the two.

As is Tex-Mex despite GF's blasphemous and outrageous accusations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Oexmelin

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2020, 12:01:41 PMA lot of our perception of national cuisine is just what things looked like when people started writing cook books.

That's certainly a big part of the story, and the capacity of some foods to be sustained by industrial capital, or by cultural prestige and diplomacy. Then there is also the rise of nationalism, and the invention of tradition.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 01:03:01 PM

:lol:

My bad.  I didn't understand you had been micro-agressed.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2020, 01:06:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 01:03:01 PM

:lol:

My bad.  I didn't understand you had been micro-agressed.

MICRO?! MICRO!!!??1111

The only way he could have macro-agressed more is if he claimed beans belongs in chili. :ultra:

PDH

Mmmm, New Mexico chili with beans in it, can't be beat.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2020, 01:09:53 PM

You acknowledge that the beans are something added to chili? You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 01:07:26 PM
MICRO?! MICRO!!!??1111

The only way he could have macro-agressed more is if he claimed beans belongs in chili. :ultra:

Once you've settled down Captain Lone Star, tell me what's original in Tex-Mex besides 1) no bean chili, 2) smoked brisket, and 3) sour cream.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2020, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: PDH on July 02, 2020, 01:09:53 PM

You acknowledge that the beans are something added to chili? You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

Yeah, they don't know how to make proper chili there either.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM