News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Why can't poutine be a thing over here, I miss it.  :(

Languish Canadians might be slightly offended by the fact that the few Barcelona restaurants that carry it are usually USA-themed  :lol:

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on July 01, 2020, 01:12:05 PM

My dog is named Kepler. My cat is named Tycho.

I approve.

Josquius

The icon for the calculator on windows has suddenly changed.
Rage.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2020, 02:49:56 AM
Why can't poutine be a thing over here, I miss it.  :(

Languish Canadians might be slightly offended by the fact that the few Barcelona restaurants that carry it are usually USA-themed  :lol:

:lol: There's no Canadian cuisine anyway.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Or perhaps these are better as have labels. :D

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Sushi pizza? Candied salmon?

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2020, 06:09:11 AM

Sushi pizza is, afaik, a fried rice patty with sushi parts on it.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2020, 07:31:00 AM

I don't think that makes it ok.  :P

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on July 02, 2020, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2020, 07:31:00 AM

I don't think that makes it ok.  :P

No, it doesn't.

As I said, there's no Canadian cuisine. What we have is a lot like Tex-Mex, adaptation of something from somewhere else.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2020, 10:01:40 AM
No, it doesn't.

As I said, there's no Canadian cuisine. What we have is a lot like Tex-Mex, adaptation of something from somewhere else.

I would kind-of disagree.  There's no national Canadian cuisine - but there is a lot of regional cuisines.  Quebec of course is the most distinctive, with things like putine, montreal bagels, montreal smoked meat, etc.

But maritimes, west coast, prairies, and the north all have their own regional specialties too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2020, 11:30:57 AM
I would kind-of disagree.  There's no national Canadian cuisine - but there is a lot of regional cuisines.  Quebec of course is the most distinctive, with things like putine, montreal bagels, montreal smoked meat, etc.

But maritimes, west coast, prairies, and the north all have their own regional specialties too.

Those are regional dishes, not regional cuisines.  You can't go to a restaurant and ask for an authentic five course Ontario meal for example.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 02, 2020, 10:01:40 AM

Did other cuisines leap forth fully formed from Zeus' head or something?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2020, 11:40:51 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2020, 11:30:57 AM

Those are regional dishes, not regional cuisines.  You can't go to a restaurant and ask for an authentic five course Ontario meal for example.

Fair point, but there do exist entire restaurants that do French-Canadian or maritime themes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.