News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Interesting French municipal elections - huge success for the Greens. It feels like in France and Germany the Greens are on course to become the main party of the left. I sort of wonder if that is the future for the left across much of the rest of Europe too? :mellow:

Obviously not everywhere - Italy and CEE are moving in a very different direction politically which I don't really understand/know how works.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I would imagine it is largely the "we haven't tried these guys and they are not fascists" factor.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2020, 04:13:00 PM
I would imagine it is largely the "we haven't tried these guys and they are not fascists" factor.
I don't know. Again Italy and CEE are different and there's something else going on there.

But in most of the rest of Europe there's been a long-term decline in the old mainstream left's vote and base especially as their support among their old working class base has declines - and often moved to the populist or far-right. On the other hand the left that survives - the Greens (and in the UK, the Greens and Labour) - have done really well with university towns, and graduates. It's not a million miles from Piketty's Brahmin left. I think in Germany the SPD seem in terminal decline and the PS have been wiped out in France. There is competition for what they new left looks like - La France Insoumise, Hamon's project and the Greens. I think it's maybe more likely that the Greens will win that battle than the PS or SPD return.

I think it also sort of applies in the UK, but here it's more within the Labour Party because of our voting system.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Alliance of free money underclass and eco-conscious bobosie.  Makes sense to me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2020, 04:05:39 PM
Interesting French municipal elections - huge success for the Greens. It feels like in France and Germany the Greens are on course to become the main party of the left. I sort of wonder if that is the future for the left across much of the rest of Europe too? :mellow:

Obviously not everywhere - Italy and CEE are moving in a very different direction politically which I don't really understand/know how works.

In the last Swiss elections the Greens were so successful that it massively challenged their political system. They should have broke the existing status quo for the top 8 positions in the country but were cheated out of it.
In the UK too they put in a better showing last election than they have previously, if we were a democracy they'd be doing fairly well.
It really does seem to be something younger millenials and digital natives care about a lot. Which is good.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Caricature from a German satirical magazine, early 1900s.

"Colonial Powers"

"This is how Germans colonize.

This is how the English colonize. The French like this, and the Belgians like this."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Weird. The British weren't particularly big on preaching with colonialism. The colonial authorities most often got involved in proselytising when it was stopping priests from stirring shit.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 28, 2020, 04:05:39 PM

Huge abstention for these municipal elections, 60 % of the registered did not vote so it would require confirmation at a later election.

OTOH, the defeat is clear for Macron's party, lacking any real local grassroots support. Only Édouard Philippe, current PM, was elected Le Havre mayor in the run-off. He was previously rumored to leave the government due to disagreements with Jupiter but being more popular than him since the CoVid crisis, he has strengthened his position.

Greens are still way behind the RN in national elections. RN won Perpignan, its biggest but only big victory.
Since French greens are of the melon water variety (green outside red inside), and have had an anti-vaxxer as n°2 in the last European elections, I am not exactly thrilled.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2020, 05:49:36 AM
Caricature from a German satirical magazine, early 1900s.

"Colonial Powers"

"This is how Germans colonize.

This is how the English colonize. The French like this, and the Belgians like this."

I can't figure out what the German colonizers are doing with the giraffes. Making a giraffe chorus line? Sounds like something that would work in 1920s Berlin ...

The Belgian one is freaking brutal, and horribly apropos. Though chopping off hands would be even closer.

Edit: perhaps goose-stepping giraffe soldiers?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2020, 11:19:18 AM
I can't figure out what the German colonizers are doing with the giraffes. Making a giraffe chorus line? Sounds like something that would work in 1920s Berlin ...

The Belgian one is freaking brutal, and horribly apropos. Though chopping off hands would be even closer.

The German one is all about order. The giraffes are all numbered, the crocodile gets muzzled, and the little sign says "Dumping of debris and snow in this spot is verboten." So I guess goose stepping it is. The Belgian one is indeed quite vicious. It's also the only one that seems to depict a head of state instead of a generic national stereotype.

I can't figure out what's going on with the French boots, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

The giraffes are goose stepping.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2020, 11:23:31 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2020, 11:19:18 AM

The German one is all about order. The giraffes are all numbered, the crocodile gets muzzled, and the little sign says "Dumping of debris and snow in this spot is verboten." So I guess goose stepping it is. The Belgian one is indeed quite vicious. It's also the only one that seems to depict a head of state instead of a generic national stereotype.

I can't figure out what's going on with the French boots, though.

Heh those boots are a puzzler - they look deliberately drawn twice the size they are supposed to be. My guess is that it's a joke on French fashions in clothing. Like one of the English dudes in tweeds.

Makes sense to use a caricature of Leopold, given the colony was his sole property at one point.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Love the goose-stepping giraffes :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

There are no natives left in the German one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.