And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2020, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 02, 2020, 05:34:48 PM
Question for US lawyer types-- Does a business face potential legal trouble if they advertise and charge different prices for customers based upon race?

Reason I ask is that a local business I like and support is offering free meals for African-Americans tomorrow. I'm sure their heart is in the right place, but the practice of charging differently based on race does not seem legal to me.

I know some places have experimented with asking white customers to pay more, but this is different.

Russian Trolls are really getting desperate these days
This is how you turn meaningful phrases into empty insults.  Russian trolls do exist, and they're doing considerable damage to online discourse.  Misusing this term in this way is not only wrong on its own merits, but it also turns actual destructive actions by an intelligence agency of a hostile foreign power into memes that you use when you want to shut down a discussion.

Josquius

Question for US lawyer types-- Does a business face potential legal trouble if they advertise and charge different prices for customers based upon race?

Reason I ask is that a local business I like and support is offering free meals for African-Americans tomorrow. I'm sure their heart is in the right place, but the practice of charging differently based on race does not seem legal to me.

I know some places have experimented with asking white customers to pay more, but this is different.

I guess some kind of exception is in place for special events?
Though yeah. Sounds like someone could stir shit there.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2020, 05:36:31 PM

Russian Trolls are really getting desperate these days

:huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on June 02, 2020, 05:46:50 PM

I guess some kind of exception is in place for special events?
Though yeah. Sounds like someone could stir shit there.

Don't worry. Someone will.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Potential?  Sure.  It's going to depend on your specific state and municipality laws.

That being said - how do they tell if someone is black or not?  If you walked up, said you were black, would they still give you a free meal?  If so, maybe not a problem.

And all of that being said, it's only a problem if someone complains about it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I mean they have things like Lady's Night at places right? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2020, 05:55:21 PM
I mean they have things like Lady's Night at places right? :hmm:

And from time to time men complain about them.

At the risk of taking Wikipedia as an authority, supposedly they've been upheld in some states, and found to be discriminatory in others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies%27_night
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Over the last few months a feral cat has made the garden it's domain, it's now pretty much at home, tomorrow I'm having to fit a cat flap to one of the doors.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

So, a local illustrator of children's books has shown her support for the protests against police brutality in the US. The woman was already old when I was a kid, and she's a bit out of touch with current times, so her contribution is a bit... unfortunate  :P

The Brain

Which is the support part?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

The SS insignia is an especially nice touch.

Syt

Yo, cel, Paradox is opening a studio in Barcelona. Johan will lead the studio, and apparently they'll focus on EU4, with more to follow. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.