News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Literally every poltical biography or memoir I've read about a UK politician includes an anecdote where they are door-knocking. And they meet someone who's been a party activist for 70 years and, you know, in the Labour version this activist was at the Battle of Cable Street and has campaigned for every Labour government there's ever been, they met all of the key figures in the party's history.

So they go in for a cup of tea and get chatting. And inevitably the old activist will lean over and say "you know what's really important though?" and the politician leans over for wisdom from this person who's met Clem and Bevan and Harold Wilson.

"We have to stop this nonsense with homosexuality. Look what it did for the Romans and the Greeks."

Polite coughs and awkward goodbyes, later and everyone leaves.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 11:57:25 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2020, 09:44:39 AM
Quote from: Tyr on May 29, 2020, 09:01:58 AM
Quite different to the French who are just rude rude. Its baked into their language that they cannot be anything but.

:huh:

The way French works gives results which are exceptionally rude to English ears.
No 'if you don't mind I'd like to know x'. Its I DEMAND YOU TELL ME X.
I wonder if a big part of it is simply down to those words entering English in such a way that left them inherently associated with haughty nobles.

Not to mention false friends. Demander = to ask ; To demand = exiger.

:P

The Brain

What's wrong with clearly stating your demands?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2020, 02:20:26 PM

Nothing. However, people might have problems with you making demands in the first place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 29, 2020, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2020, 02:20:26 PM

Nothing. However, people might have problems with you making demands in the first place.

Off with their heads.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2020, 11:34:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2020, 11:04:49 AM

I used to believe the rudeness thing, until I went to France.

I've never encountered rudeness in France, but I may have a different definition of it.

I believe that, if you re-read what I wrote, you will find that i am saying the same thing you are saying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 29, 2020, 02:18:52 PM
Quite different to the French who are just rude rude. Its baked into their language that they cannot be anything but.

The way French works gives results which are exceptionally rude to English ears.
I wonder if a big part of it is simply down to those words entering English in such a way that left them inherently associated with haughty nobles.

Not to mention false friends. Demander = to ask ; To demand = exiger.

:P

Oh sure. I get its the way French works. They're not actually being rude. But the way it comes across to English speakers is fundamentally so.
My francophone girlfriend is very aware of this and watches what she says to people to be sure she doesn't let it cross over into her English
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

English ears? The language that needs a comma after and because it cannot fucking provide enough context.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2020, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2020, 11:34:01 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 29, 2020, 11:04:49 AM

I used to believe the rudeness thing, until I went to France.

I've never encountered rudeness in France, but I may have a different definition of it.

I believe that, if you re-read what I wrote, you will find that i am saying the same thing you are saying.

Possibly, but not necessarily.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on May 29, 2020, 02:50:11 PM
Possibly, but not necessarily.

Okay.  I guess i don't know what you are saying, then, but that doesn't matter.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Can you show us on the doll where did the French Language hurt you?  :P

Admiral Yi

I think I've mentioned my theory of the relationship between the French language and the perception of rudeness before.  To correctly pronounce French vowels you have to tense your lips a lot.  That can resemble sneering.

I developed this theory when I was jammed into the lobby of a tiny movie theater in Aix en Provence waiting for a showing of Full Metal Jacket.  It was like an elevator, so no one was talking.  Everyone's resting face looked very pleasant and normal.  Then one person started talking and they all looked a little like dickheads.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Threviel

The rudeness might be a Paris thing perhaps? First thing that happened to me when I went to Paris was that some random guy standing behind me started screaming and calling me names when I tried to buy subway tickets.

Driving around the countryside for weeks with a camping car resulted in only openness and friendliness, no-one was rude or unfriendly.

The Brain

The Metro is a much more polite and friendly place than the Stockholm subway in my experience. OTOH twice I just wouldn't get service at bistros, but that must have been som cultural thing I didn't grasp. I just moved on to a new bistro and everything worked fine.