News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2020, 04:27:32 AM
I think the short barreled Stug just doesn't feel right because the long barrel is the real Stug.

Well, StuG III Ausf. G was the "main version" with over 8000 produced (more than e.g. all Pz IV variants IIRC) and probably the most iconic one. I prefer the blockier early version of the gun mantlet  on the G to the rounded versions, aesthetically, though the rounded one made it obviously less susceptible to direct damage from hits.

Comparison early vs late:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Stumbled on this and thought it quite cool. A dynamic map of travel times on the London Underground.
http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/tube_map_travel_times/applet/
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I should watch that movie again.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

April 1 can be very tricky - sometimes it's hard to know what is real and what is a joke:

https://www.ft.com/content/11f05d9c-1c81-41ce-b385-a49376575b6f

QuoteCarnival Corporation is looking to raise $6bn to stay afloat . . .The world's largest cruise operator said on Tuesday it intended to raise at least $3bn of three-year bonds secured on part of its fleet of cruise ships, $1.75bn of bonds that can convert into shares and $1.25bn in newly issued stock.

The newspaper version of the story then has a line not in the web version:
QuoteShares in Carnival rose 10 percent on the new of the potential financing. "Carnival is taking a big leap here." said Christopher Yanney, co-founder of CKC Capital . . .

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Huh. I am no investment guru but generally when a company announces they are taking on big new obligations just to keep their doors open that doesn't indicate a great investment opportunity...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

I know a lot of you know about Drachinifel and his naval history videos, but today's vid is special, especially for those who still remember Jeffrey Wayne's War of the Worlds album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQBund8uLmo
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 01, 2020, 12:05:15 PM
April 1 can be very tricky - sometimes it's hard to know what is real and what is a joke:

https://www.ft.com/content/11f05d9c-1c81-41ce-b385-a49376575b6f

QuoteCarnival Corporation is looking to raise $6bn to stay afloat . . .The world's largest cruise operator said on Tuesday it intended to raise at least $3bn of three-year bonds secured on part of its fleet of cruise ships, $1.75bn of bonds that can convert into shares and $1.25bn in newly issued stock.

The newspaper version of the story then has a line not in the web version:
QuoteShares in Carnival rose 10 percent on the new of the potential financing. "Carnival is taking a big leap here." said Christopher Yanney, co-founder of CKC Capital . . .

They might as well sink them as artificial reefs and invest in scuba diving gear for the new venture.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

celedhring

Isn't that business as usual?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 02, 2020, 01:25:58 PM
Isn't that business as usual?  :P
Yeah - 851 years and counting :contract: <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

they'll trade the Irish for some potatoes
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Wouldn't be a problem if Yuros allowed the selling of blood.  :whistle:

Capitalism baby.