News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

That happened to a dude in a solar power plant I worked at. It was during the worst of Spanish summer, and he left the car in a tracker's shadow. Came back later in the day to find the 10-ton tracker had made quite a mess of his car as it followed the sun. Best part is he was an employee of the tracker company.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Another one for parents with children at home:  The Henry Ford Museum has a number of programs online.  Also they have the complete series of Innovation Nation on their website.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Hope everyone remembered to put the clock forward. An hour closer to the end of the lockdown. Woo.

(yes yes, I know)
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Another one from two countries divided by a common language: I was reviewing cyber-security documents and looked up the term "Nonce," and woah (:o) does that have a really different meaning in the UK.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

I thought nonce was like Shakespeare English? guess the word changed meaning since then.

My fav example is still Fanny.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

I'd go so far as to say it's the most savage insult - you can really get venom into it. Unlike the far softer and merely homophobic "ponce".

These are never to be confused :contract:

Edit: Eg you might say "stop poncing about" - that will be taken in good humour. "Stop noncing about" will not.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2020, 01:52:23 PM
Another one from two countries divided by a common language: I was reviewing cyber-security documents and looked up the term "Nonce," and woah (:o) does that have a really different meaning in the UK.   :bowler:

Were you reviewing British or American cyber-security documents?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2020, 02:45:54 PM

Canadian :Canuck:

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 30, 2020, 02:45:54 PM

Canadian :Canuck:

Jesus Christ.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I didn't know either of these definitions! 😄

The only one I know of is the slightly archaic "for the nonce", meaning for the moment.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Cobi is adding Vietnam models to their collection:

https://cobi.pl/en/vietnam-war/

I'm not convinced by the Huey, but the M-60, PT-76 and M113 look nice. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

They also have a StuG III-D, but while I was hoping they'd add a StuG to the line again, this one just rubs me a bit the wrong way. Might be the desert paintjob.

Ugh, I may have to install War Thunder again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2020, 01:43:19 AM
Cobi is adding Vietnam models to their collection:

https://cobi.pl/en/vietnam-war/

I'm not convinced by the Huey, but the M-60, PT-76 and M113 look nice. :hmm:

I think I should get the M-60 for the Bill Kilgore mini alone.

Admiral Yi

I think the short barreled Stug just doesn't feel right because the long barrel is the real Stug.