News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Definitely. Only ever come across woke used as an insult in the wild.

Possible exception in that burger King veggie burger ad where I can't tell if they're being sarcastic and pro wokeness or what.

It's a stupid insult when you look at what it means. Up there with social justice warrior for stupidity

But then that's from a UK perspective. Our nutty right are very highly americanised.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

I use "woke" a lot, definitely always disparagingly.  I think it's a very useful term to quickly describe the militant left as encountered on Twitter, hostile to any non-self-censored discussion of a wide range of topics.  I think it would be a very woke thing to equate the criticism of such a crowd to being a racist.

Valmy

I am sure there are very positive aspects of wokeness but on the internet, and twitter especially, it seems to often be a progressive cover for nationalist and tribalist tendencies. The ugliness and vile behavior that comes from that gives it a bad name.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Identity politics is bad.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on March 22, 2020, 03:29:37 PM
Identity politics is bad.

I would like to sign up for your newsletter and become a stormtrooper for your movement.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Any guesses on the next expression woke politically correct social justice warriors will use to describe themselves then disavow three times before the rooster crows?

(I know SJW doesn't fit because it started as mockery, but I needed a noun.)

Eddie Teach

Languish is... convalescent?

March 2020 already has the most posts since August 2017.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 23, 2020, 04:18:02 PM

That damn monkeys paw again.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Among the young, in my experience, "woke" definitively has a positive connotation.  In fact, they revel in the disdain olds pour on the term.  They may mock the idea of being triggered, but think that being woke is the badge of their superiority over their elders.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 23, 2020, 04:18:02 PM

In how many threads, though?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Maladict

Agelastus

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 05:01:57 AM
RIP Uderzo :asterix:

R.I.P.  :cry:

I still reread my Asterix collection occasionally.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

RIP, loved his comics when growing up :(

Found it both sad and slightly funny that over here right after the headline the first sentence is nearly always "he didn't die of coronavirus".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.