News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 07:09:03 PM
Does anyone else always get the urge to use the ridiculous titles that some websites have? "Delivery for Countes/Admiral/The Right Reverend Sheilbh" - or am I alone in this childishness  :blush: :ph34r:

I might consider it for laughs if I get Dom or Dominus.  :P

celedhring

When I register to random websites and I don't want to give away real personal info I usually do it under ludicrous personas. But I have never done it for i.e. receiving packages.

Grey Fox

The name of my dental hygienist is actually, legal & all, Princess Sarah.

Must be awesome when traveling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Savonarola

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 07:09:03 PM
Does anyone else always get the urge to use the ridiculous titles that some websites have? "Delivery for Countes/Admiral/The Right Reverend Sheilbh" - or am I alone in this childishness  :blush: :ph34r:

I did when I was younger.  The Detroit Opera House still prints "Lord Savonarola" on my tickets.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Camerus

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Those look nasty but meat stuffed plantain is ossum.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2020, 01:54:49 PM
Those look nasty but meat stuffed plantain is ossum.

Caribbean cuisine does wonders with them.

Savonarola

Another one for anyone stuck home schooling (or in need of a museum break); from Smithsonian Magazine:  Ten Museums You Can Visit Virtually

For easy access, the Museums are:

Thyssen-Bornemisza National Museum
National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
The Anne Frank House
The Vatican Museum  (Check out the virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
The National Gallery (UK)
Langley Research Center (NASA)
Glenn Research Center (NASA)
National Anthropological Museum (Mexico)
The de Young Museum
The Louvre

(The article lists both NASA museums in the same blurb, hence the 11 on my list.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

There was an earthquake in Zagreb this morning.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Woke is the new version of PC.  And like PC, woke has started out as a rallying cry.  I predict a time will come when woke will also be a term "that only racists use."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 01:02:52 PM
Woke is the new version of PC.  And like PC, woke has started out as a rallying cry.  I predict a time will come when woke will also be a term "that only racists use."
I'd already say that to be honest.

I have never heard it used in a non-sneering way.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 22, 2020, 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2020, 01:02:52 PM
I'd already say that to be honest.

I have never heard it used in a non-sneering way.

https://youtu.be/hGUDujDCfFE
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?