News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2020, 01:14:43 AM
I am now an assistant professor of English at a South Korean university. :smarty:

Congratulations, Tim :cheers:

Is this purely a teaching position; or will you be doing research as well?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on February 21, 2020, 10:10:53 AM
I am now an assistant professor of English at a South Korean university. :smarty:

Just teaching.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2020, 10:14:15 AM

Just teaching.

Tenure?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

So here is a dumb legal question...what generally happens to a lock up provision for a corporation in a personal bankruptcy?

For example, there are two 50-50 owners of a corporation - shared decision making. The shareholders agreement states that neither can transfer ownership or control of the shares without the approval of the other.

One of the owners goes into personal bankruptcy. I'd think ordinarily those shares would be transferred to a trust of some sort, but in this case that would be prohibited by the shareholders agreement (assuming the other owner does not approve).

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

:w00t: Congrats.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

I hope you're not still pursuing the no insurance climbing gym option.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

:cheers:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2020, 11:50:22 AM
So here is a dumb legal question...what generally happens to a lock up provision for a corporation in a personal bankruptcy?

For example, there are two 50-50 owners of a corporation - shared decision making. The shareholders agreement states that neither can transfer ownership or control of the shares without the approval of the other.

This isn't what bankruptcy considers to be a "lock-up agreement", FYI.  In bankruptcy terms a lockup agreement is a contractual agreement to a particular negotiated bankruptcy settlement or a "prepackaged bankruptcy."

Quote from: alfred russel on February 21, 2020, 11:50:22 AM
One of the owners goes into personal bankruptcy. I'd think ordinarily those shares would be transferred to a trust of some sort, but in this case that would be prohibited by the shareholders agreement (assuming the other owner does not approve).

Depends on the state.  In some states the trustee is barred from just auctioning the shares; in others the shares are going and the best you can hope for is getting a right of first refusal.

alfred russel

Thanks ulmont...in accounting literature they are called "lock up provisions" which was not helpful when googling this. :(

grumbler

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2020, 10:39:56 AM

Just teaching.

Tenure?

Good question.  In US universities, assistant professor is a tenure track position, but don't know what the Korean convention is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

In my opinion, the Koreans need to work harder at inspiring pigs.  What I have here in front of me is just not cutting it.  Hopefully, Tim's new position will rectify this problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on February 21, 2020, 03:34:35 PM
Quote from: dps on February 21, 2020, 10:39:56 AM

Just teaching.

Tenure?

Good question.  In US universities, assistant professor is a tenure track position, but don't know what the Korean convention is.

Nah. It's one year contracts.  Even though the contract calls me an assistant professor in the English translation, I'd be surprised if that's a literal translation, rather than the Korean more precisely meaning instructor or something similar.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point