News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2020, 04:21:20 PM
Just a joke about how much the British love sheep. They love them so much they once tossed the humans off their land to make room for sheep.

Then they colonized New Zealand and Australia so there would be more room in this world for sheep.
Ah :lol:

Here it's regional. The Welsh are sheep-shaggers, in Scotland it's more regional: it's the Aberdonians. I wondered if it was a similar thing in the US about the English.

Although sheep are amazing - knitwear and the best roast :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I love me some lamb vindaloo but based on others comments I have no interest in eating mutton.

Sheilbh

Lamb, mutton and hogget are all very different. Lamb is the best roast I swear :goodboy:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 17, 2020, 05:31:26 PM
Although sheep are amazing - knitwear and the best roast :w00t:

I rest my case :P

But I did have this funny experience that whenever I would read a book on the history of Britain by a Brit there would inevitably be the part where the author would tell me how much they like sheep and how great sheep are. Now i know that sheep do play a big role in British history so it is inevitable the subject would come up but it does get a little weird. When I started listening to David Crowther's History of England (now sadly put on hiatus as he struggles with some kind of health issue) I made a joke to my dad that at some point he would tell us how much he loves sheep and...yeah sure enough :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Hogget?  Is that a real word or are you showing your Gaelic side?

Valmy

Also I should bring up that fact that the British once fought a war to protect islands with this flag:

I mean who else would put a sheep on a flag? Got to keep those sheep safe from Argentinian aggression.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2020, 05:44:11 PM
Hogget?  Is that a real word or are you showing your Gaelic side?
It's Old English: hog (boar) + et (diminuitive)!

It means a sheep between lamb and mutton, I think about 1 or 2 years old.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Sheep definitely make the best roast; all that melted and crisped fat  :mmm:

I was amazed to find that the USA has barely any sheep; another of those they are the same as us but totally different things.

Eddie Teach

Cause we have cotton and warmer weather. Makes sheep less economical.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

How do other countries fare? Is there a correlation between sheep and gun deaths?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 18, 2020, 06:54:58 AM
Right. You've cotton and warm weather so you don't need to accessorise with a nice jumper, or a scarf <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2020, 09:31:24 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 18, 2020, 06:54:58 AM
Right. You've cotton and warm weather so you don't need to accessorise with a nice jumper, or a scarf <_<

I'm not too sure about the warmer weather either  :hmm:

Valmy

Well it is warmer where Eddie lives anyway.

Barrister

I don't think the "warm weather" explanation does it either.

It's pretty cold here in Edmonton (-27c this morning).  But this is still very much cattle country, with hardly any sheep, and mutton is not on the menu anywhere.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Cotton was the important part. We don't use much wool, so the sheep farmer would have less profit at local markets. Thus, more chose to set up with cattle or pigs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?