Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 21, 2020, 11:18:20 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2020, 11:13:37 AM
What's special about dark Moors?

Atop them, you can see the stars much better.

Not if the Moor puts out your light.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fdYB_4ZLQ

Saudi Arabia hacked Jeff Bezos' phone, probably to fuck with him about the WashPo's reporting on the Kashoggi murder.

celedhring

The Ebro delta before and after the storms that have been hitting the Spanish med coast this week.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on January 22, 2020, 04:03:24 PM
The Ebro delta before and after the storms that have been hitting the Spanish med coast this week.

Looks a bit like here was last week, though obviously on a smaller scale here, we had some freakishly heavy rain for N.Europe in mid winter.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Any idea what the blue sparkly bits are?

jimmy olsen

Nice biography in the WaPost of Johnny Kim, Navy Seal, combat medic, sniper, mathematician, Harvad MD, and newly minted Astronaut.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2020/01/14/nasaastronautjonnykim/%3foutputType=amp
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2020, 07:38:35 PM
Any idea what the blue sparkly bits are?

Probably organic phosphorescence caused by the storms churning up the water.

The Larch

The bright blue in the second picture is a visualization quirk from the satelite imaging employed, it does not reflect any particular changes in the water itself. Maybe it's a lighting effect or something.

Josquius

Looks like I'm buying a house.
Yeah. The timing is dumb. But I figured mortgage is cheaper than rent so even if the value drops £4000 a year I'm in profit.
A question though. Solicitors. Is there any issue with using the one recommended by the estate agent?
They're local and the cheapest I've found so I'm tempted.
██████
██████
██████

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on January 23, 2020, 07:00:52 AM
Yeah. The timing is dumb. But I figured mortgage is cheaper than rent so even if the value drops £4000 a year I'm in profit.
A question though. Solicitors. Is there any issue with using the one recommended by the estate agent?

Timing is suboptimal but not dumb, especially if it reduces your current expenses. I did the same last year, prices have still gone up in the meantime and my fixed interest rate is very low. Besides, I'll have a paid off mortgage when I hit 70, which will come in handy when my pension scheme collapses.

Can't help you with your question, I would say no problem but I'm unfamiliar with UK peculiarities.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on January 23, 2020, 07:00:52 AM

Don't sell in a year will help with the timing.  ;)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

It seems Prince Harry and Megan's "professional plans" are to sell off their branding rights.  In other words, glorified social influencers.  Ugh.  So maybe Megan does belong in the column of American women who have fucked up the UK after all.  Thankfully, in the good column we still have Churchill's mom and the Lady Grantham from Downton Abbey.

Tamas

My wife was working from home to be around when the estate agency came around for a "regular check" of our rented flat. They spent 15 minutes taking pictures and making notes and there'll be a written report we'll be copied in on.  :huh:

They seemed happy though.

I find this slightly humiliating. I understand we are exposed and at the owner/agency's mercy, but they don't HAVE to rub it in so much.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on January 23, 2020, 09:08:41 AM
MY wife was working from home to be around when the estate agency came around for a "regular check" of our rented flat. They spent 15 minutes taking pictures and making notes and there'll be a written report we'll be copied in on.  :huh:

They seemed happy though.

I find this slightly humiliating. I understand we are exposed and at the owner/agency's mercy, but they don't HAVE to rub it in so much.

I haven't checked about recent updates, but in the past people in your station did have rights and are not entirely at their landlord's mercy.

You have rights to grow the crops of your choice on your land, and you can not be removed by your landlord without cause. You have a right to be protected by your landlord, and your landlord has a responsibility to support you in times of famine.

Your landlord also has rights of course, including the right of prima nocta.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Thank you Alfred DorseyGuller Russel