News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Yeah. But the perception of the UK, especially in England (NIMBYs :ultra:) is that everything green has been concreted over and we've just sprawled and ruined everywhere.

Actually the worst country in Europe for sprawl must be Italy, with it's hundreds of miles of light industry along the motorways :bleeding: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

If you want to avoid having any neighbors in Europe, inland Spain is the place to be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2019, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 21, 2019, 03:19:01 PM
I'm sure the Netherlands is,  probably just higher than ther UK, but I thnk Tyr and Mal are discussing England, in which case the area is nearly halved but still containing 85% of the population.  :bowler:
I think the Netherlands is still ahead of England. But even including mostly empty Scotland, the UK is one of the most densely populated states in Europe.

But I mean Canada's the other end of the extreme. I imagine it's less densely populated than more or less anywhere but Australia which is, of course, mainly flame and desert.

I've now checked and England is just ahead of the whole Netherlands, 1099 vs 1083 per sq km.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on November 21, 2019, 03:58:52 PM
If you want to avoid having any neighbors in Europe, inland Spain is the place to be.

Yet Barcelona is the most densely inhabited part of Europe.
Spain takes what England does to extremes.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Yup, it's either that or Northern Scandinavia. Population densities in some areas are similar, we have a couple of provinces with less than 10 people per square km.

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on November 21, 2019, 04:18:20 PM

Yet Barcelona is the most densely inhabited part of Europe.
Spain takes what England does to extremes.

The thing about Barcelona is that it packs a lot of people in a quite constrained geographical area. Madrid doesn't have those constraints and thus sprawls like crazy, as comparison.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2019, 04:20:43 PM

Yup, it's either that or Northern Scandinavia. Population densities in some areas are similar, we have a couple of provinces with less than 10 people per square km.

:wub:

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 21, 2019, 04:27:39 PM

Move to the Yukon Mongers: population density is 0.07 people per square km. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2019, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 21, 2019, 04:27:39 PM

Move to the Yukon Mongers: population density is 0.07 people per square km. :cool:

The density of polar bears though  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

The map of Wyoming's population density seems to register in the negatives.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

I've read New Jersey has the densest population in the US. Guller, is that your experience?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

It's a small state in area wedged between two large cities. Northern Jersey is really an extension of New York and there is a part further south which is basically the Philly suburbs. Then there is the shore which is densely settled and draws people from both cities. There are parts of the state that are less settled but move in that direction and pretty soon you are over the Pennsylvania line.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 21, 2019, 06:25:21 PM
It's a small state in area wedged between two large cities. Northern Jersey is really an extension of New York and there is a part further south which is basically the Philly suburbs. Then there is the shore which is densely settled and draws people from both cities. There are parts of the state that are less settled but move in that direction and pretty soon you are over the Pennsylvania line.

Wosh?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 21, 2019, 06:15:37 PM
I've read New Jersey has the densest population in the US. Guller, is that your experience?
It used to be that way before I moved there.

Josquius

Happy black Friday (the non drinking one) :cheers:
██████
██████
██████